With all that has occurred this year- the car situation, the AC conking out and believe it or not the washing machine too all in the same month, I have been really stressed.
This past week I decided that I really need to take control of my life and get back to my healthy living from before Beanie was born.
Beanie is almost two! I have no excuses for not making time to exercise or eat right.
Sure, I rarely get to eat a meal properly, other than breakfast which I have when Beanie is in school. Lunch is usually sucking down something while muted on a conference call, and dinners are hurried since invariably as soon as I sit down to eat Beanie will wake from sleep and fuss.
But...that is how life as a SMC is with a baby and I need to adapt.
The irony is that I love working out, so not being able to exercise daily does not agree with me. I feel sluggish and not happy with myself and really guilty.
So this week I decided to make the time to work out everyday. I have a stationary bike at home, so I have started using it when I get a break from work. Even 20 min a day is better than nothing. The weather is also improving, so very soon I can get back to taking walks in the mornings before work gets busy.
Also, the past month I have really cut out on eating junk food. I was doing way too much drive through for lunch since I never had anything to eat at home. Now, if I don't have left overs from dinner, I raid my pantry for things like baked beans or sardines, or tuna. I am also trying to eat fruit every day. I get all sorts of fresh fruit, especially organic blueberries and strawberries for Beanie each week, but I don't usually eat them myself.
On Monday I made a batch of oatmeal that I could warm up for breakfast during the week. A couple of years ago I would eat oatmeal with walnuts, fruit, cinnamon and honey for breakfast. Then when Beanei was born I switched to eggs since I juts needed that extra protein. Now I think I am going to get back to oatmeal during the week and enjoy eggs on the weekend with Beanie.
I am also trying to drink more water which is something I have always struggled with.
Beanie is now getting really good about eating normal adult food. The past couple of weeks I have been able to make fish, beef burritos,spaghetti, veggie rice, etc and she is eating it happily. That makes things easier in a way since I don't have to make something for her (eg Mac n Cheese) and something else for me.
I am hoping that I can persist with this new plan and take better case of myself.
How do you busy moms incorporate healthy lifestyles?
I'm doing the same thing right now! All 3 of us eat the same food now, so at supper I'm focusing on making sure there's at least one veggie (but I aim for 2-3) and I've gotten rid of almost all the junk food in the house, so if I'm hungry after the boys go to bed, I have to eat fruit.
ReplyDeleteThe exercise thing is a little easier, as I can now fit in a workout after work a few days a week, and when the weather's nice, we're going back to long walks on the weekend.
It's so easy to neglect ourselves when taking care of young kids - but we can do it!
It's been really hard to find time to be active since I've had my daughter and I'm not even alone. I haven't done yoga since she's been born and I've been to the gym twice! I miss being active. I've sign up for a couple of dance classes this summer. This will get me out of the house and active. Good for you for working towards an healthier lifestyle.
ReplyDeleteI think that's awesome you are becoming aware that you want to recover some of your habits from before, that naturally slip when you have a little one. Little habit changes, in my experience, are super helpful versus big sudden change. I've slacked on working out, too, and want to do more. Hoping to do some activities outside now.
ReplyDeleteGood for you. You're better than me! I use Elena being four an excuse NOT to work out, lol! Tho that's always been my problem: too many excuses!
ReplyDeleteGood for you!! I have been struggling with this too! Especially finding the time to exercise. I find I just need to leave work 10-15 minutes earlier and go to the gym, which is at Elsie's day care. Meanwhile, she LOVES staying late at their after hours and I need to take advantage of that but instead I feel guilty.
ReplyDeleteAs for food, I have been looking for easy, freezable recipes. My problem is Elsie still for the most part won't eat what I eat. But she is better at day care. So I pack a super nutritious lunch (they will heat up food) and then feel ok with her having pb&j or similar for dinner.