Monday, December 2, 2013

A Different Kind of Christmas

This year Christmas will be vastly different. Normally its about decorating the house and going to my Sis's for our X'mas eve dinner and presents.

This year I am skipping decorating the house indoors simply because Beanie is into everything, so keeping her away from all my decorations, most of which are at floor level (eg Nutcrackers) or table level will be a challenge.

Yup, since the past few days she is beginning to hoist herself to standing. I have removed practically everything from my side tables and off the floors (plants etc), so it makes no sense to add more stuff only to tell her "No".

I will put lights outside as I usually do and put some things that are on the mantelpiece where she cannot get to them.

I don't own a tree. I had a tiny one I had back in CA which I still use. My Mom is on my case to get a tree this year, but again, Beanie will be all over it so it seems pointless.

Regarding dinner, I have decided that Beanie and I will skip the traditional dinner at my sis's place. Her attitude towards Beanie is very unpleasant and I don't see why Beanie should be around it during her first Christmas.

Yesterday I took Beanie over for a few hours to my parents place. My niece was there and while she did not play with Beanie, she sat on the couch and watched her and asked questions and seemed interested which I was happy to see.

Then my sis popped in and her first words on seeing Beanie playing on the floor were "oh don't let her look at me because she will start crying". Um, yeah...she does not know you.... so yes she will cry when she is around strangers.

She did not have anything else to say....no,  "wow she has grown", or "how cute", or "how is she doing".  When Beanie was sick she texted me to find out how she was for a few days, I was surprised and according to my Mom she is always talking about Beanie to my Mom, but when she sees her she is so cold.

Very weird.

I also know that's she will give her good gifts for Christmas since she was very generous when Beanie was born but to me that does not make up for the lack of relationship she has. Its easy to write a check!!!

She told my Mom that she does not like babies. Excuse me, firstly you had two kids so how can you not like babies (unless she hated being a Mom which is what I am beginning to suspect now) and secondly even if you don't like babies, Beanie is your niece. She is not just any baby!

When I was in my 20's and early 30's, I was not very interested in children (having them or being around them), but I was always involved with my niece and nephew and have a great bond with them.

So I told my Mom we will not be going to the dinner. Beanie will be cranky since she sleeps at 7pm and being in a new place with new people will make her more clingy and whiney and I don't want to hear stupid comments from my sis, and see her acting cold towrads Beanie.

I will drop off the gifts for them earlier in the day and spend the evening at home with Beanie.  The past couple of years I have started hosting a Christmas brunch which my niece really enjoys so she and my parents can come over to my place on the 25th and we can celebrate with Beanie and open presents.

I know my Mom is very disappointed that the family will not be together but it is what it is for now.

6 comments:

  1. You need to do what is best for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good idea, why would you inflict such negativity on yourself and Beanie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm having typing problems tonight so I deleted my comment.

    I wanted to say it's unfortunate that your sister doesn't seem interesting in putting in the effort to bond with your daughter like you have done with her kids. I don't understand why people don't get that you need to make an effort to develop a relationship. And so I don't see this as a problem not going to her house for Christmas. It's really a time you should be around those you love and not in a stressful or negative situation. Hopefully your sister will come around.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you're also not going to throw off her schedule and environment for what sounds like it would be an uncomfortable evening. I hope your sister comes around. Just enjoy the holiday the way you want it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your situation with your sis sounds very similar to mine with my bro...he would always complain that E would cry when she saw him...well duh, she only saw him every couple of months...she's only now warming up to him now that her memory is getting longer. He's also the same about spoiling her with gifts...but that's his nature, throw money at it & everything will be fine.

    Anyway, I don't mean to vent in your comment section but all this seems to boil up at this time of year.

    You sound like you are learning the same lesson I did, baby comes 1st no matter what. You'll enjoy your Christmas Eve so much more, just you & your girl.

    ReplyDelete