Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Been a While

Its been over two weeks since I posted and its been a roller coaster.

Beanie are I are sick again! She with an ear infection diagnosed with a hurried trip to Immediate Care on Saturday evening, and me with the a cold from the lovely germs she plants on my face with her sweet kisses. She is on her first round of antibiotics and after a tough weekend we are better. Well she is, I am still hacking away. For anyone keeping track this is my 3rd cold in as many months!

Had a scary few weeks earlier when around the week of TG, Beanie started a weird involuntary movement of her head/shoulder.

The first time I saw it immediately struck me as quite odd. Then it happened a few times more. I thought it may have been her ear bothering her but a routine trip to the pediatrician to close the RSV situation did not show an ear infection. I forgot to mention the spasm at the time since it had only happened a couple of times.

Then it happened more often and I googled and was terrified with what I read online. So I took her back to the pediatrician. There was a lot of wax in Beanie's left ear plus she is teething from that side too. The Dr. removed the wax and said she did not think it was anything weird, but if it happened more often then she would refer us to a neurologist.

That was a Wed, and by Friday it was getting more and I was now second guessing every gesture Beanie made and was totally freaked out. Everything I read said that in such situations you cannot wait and watch for too long. Plus with the holidays coming up, I just wanted to get this resolved.

So I bypassed the pediatrician, did some more googling and made an apt with a pediatric neurologist for the following Tuesday.

It was a very nerve wracking weekend, even though we were both well for a change (this was before the ear infection).

Tue came and we all drove up to the city. It was raining and it took 2 hrs to get there and we barely made our appt. Normally it should be 50 min, so I thought I had given us adequate time. The neurologist was super nice and checked her out thoroughly.  He said he did not think it was anything serious but agreed to do an EEG to investigate further. We booked it for the very next day - Wed of last week.

The procedure was quite traumatic since Beanie was supposed to nap and fought and cried her way through, but finally did fall asleep and then was so conked out it was hard to wake her.

The results take a week so needless to say I jumped every time the phone rang. Called them yesterday and left a message.

Finally phone rang at about 5pm.....

The EEG is normal. They did not see anything odd and do not need an MRI.

Thank god!

So whatever it is, she has done it a few times since, is not anything like infantile spasms or such scary disorders. I will continue to keep an eye on it and we have a follow up in 6 weeks with the neurologist.

And of course now we have the ear infection.

Sigh....Q4 has really sucked!

In the midst of all this I have lost weight, got terrible heartburn and my stomach is all messed up, likely due to stress :-(

Despite all that, I have tried to be merry with the holidays around the corner.

I did succumb and buy a Christmas tree.  After all it is Beanie's first Christmas. I also ordered personalized stockings for us and have hung them up and done some decorating indoors.

We did pictures with Santa. She burst into tears but them calmed down enough so my Dad could get some pics. She wore her Christmas outfit and looked super cute.

I have ordered her a red woolen coat from a boutique in London, UK which may not get here in time. It was exactly what I was looking for and quite reasonably priced and free shipping. I have a yellow raincoat and some other stuff from Baby G.ap, a Fisher Price baby laptop, a beginner train set and some books for her. I also ordered her a hat and mittens from the same boutique which should be here early next week.

I have not bought a stich for the family so hopefully will do it all this weekend.

Now all we need is health and general wellness!!

6 comments:

  1. I hope that you both feel much better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry that you are sick again. The story about Beanie's involuntary movements was scary. I'm so relieved that the EEG came back normal. I hope you feel better soon and get to enjoy the holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  3. EEGs are so not fun as an adult. I can't imagine having one done as a baby. Glad she'll be okay once the ear infection clears up. Egads sweetie, hope you don't catch another cold!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would have been so scared too!! Glad you were so proactive & got answers quickly. Wishing you a healthy Christmas

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really hope the new year brings health for both of you. I hope it's not too busy this weekend to shop either. I was out a couple times and while it was busy, it wasn't as bad as I expected.

    ReplyDelete