Sunday, August 25, 2013

Close Encounters with a Goose

We had a really nice weekend, given it was the first dry weekend in weeks. We have had a really wet summer this year, so to get a sunny weekend was such a treat.

Yesterday I went for yoga (thanks, Mom!). It was really enjoyable. After lunch Beanie and I took a 2.5 hrs nap - that is the longest she has slept during the day - ever! 

I loved it since I was quite tired after my class.

In the evening we went to my parents place for dinner. Beanie was a bit fussy since it was close to her feed time, but I figured I would feed her there. She was then really happy and playful, until my niece brought their cat and the cat freaked her out, so she cried and got all clingy wanting only Mommy. So I wolfed down my dinner and beat a hasty retreat. The moment we came home she was all smiles and happy to do our bedtime routine :-)

Today she was fussing a lot before her 10 am nap, so I decided to pack her up and head to a park which has a pond. It has a walking path around it about .42 miles. It was a really beautiful morning - warm with a cool breeze and partly cloudy.  There were several people and families about feeding the ducks and Canadian geese.  We walked around the lake and she fell asleep so I sat on a bench and just chilled, which was lovely sitting outdoors.

Then I decided to do another lap around the pond. Towards the end, as I was approaching the car park, I came across a Canadian Goose family.

They were blocking the path!

There were 2-3 geese on the grass eating on either side of the path and a huge (male) right in the middle - basically standing guard.

I slowly came towards them and even at a safe distance, I could see that they had no intention of moving.

That big guy looked kind of scary, so I decided to stop and turned around to go all the way back (the long way).

Just then a lady with a big dog was coming on her bike, so I waited and the dog scared the geese who fled into the water allowing Beanie and I to pass unscathed.

LOL - I never though a goose would scare me, but I have heard they are pretty mean and I did not want to endanger myself or Beanie.

Hope you all had a good weekend!

2 comments:

  1. The geese breed on the grounds where I work so I've crossed their paths. I find them okay this time of year but a couple years ago in the spring I was on a sidewalk thinking they'd move when I got close. They had babies; not a good idea. One of them hissed and flapped her wings at me. I don't think she would have attacked unless I went after the baby but it scared me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being Canadian, believe me, I know how dangerous Canadian Geese can be!! I have been "attacked" TWICE!! very good choice to avoid them!

    ReplyDelete