Saturday, June 8, 2013

Back to Yoga

Today I went for my Saturday yoga class - after 10 months!

Yes, despite all my good intentions to be taking the class right through my pregnancy I dropped out early on.

Initially during the first trimester, I was tired and nauseous and did not want to chance puking mid-class so avoided class.

The second trimester while I physically felt great, I was almost always busy on Saturday mornings, either shopping or doing something or other that prevented me from going to class. Plus this class is a long one almost 2 hrs and very intense. Its not relaxing yoga but the type where you hold poses until your arms are quivering! I just thought even  with making adjustments for my pregnancy, it may not be the best idea, since there in intrinsically a lot of twisting and abdominal work involved which I could not do.

So, during my pregnancy, I stuck to my daily walks and pre-natal yoga DVDs which served me well.

Anyway so today was my first day back. I was cleared by my OB at my 6-week appointment to jump back into normal exercising and strengthen my core given the c-section.

It felt so weird (in a good way) to go back to the gym.

The instructors I had have changed and other than 2-3 regulars they were all new folks in class. I got my same spot which was nice.

My Mom was watching Beanie. In fact I thought the class was at 10am so Mom decided to spend the night with us. Turns out it was 10:30am. Since I arrived 30 minutes early I got on the treadmill for a while to warm up.

The class was great. It was super mellow - more stretching and not the active yoga I am used to but it was a great way to ease back into it.

I spoke with the instructor before to give her my history. She could not believe I had a baby 10 weeks ago since my stomach is now pretty much flat and I am only 4lb above my pre-pregnancy weight. She planned to do some ab work and told me to only take it as far I felt comfortable.

I had a nice time, and did not feel any discomfort. I did opt out of some hard ab work simply since I did not want to push it given I was just getting back to it.

As I was driving back home, I remembered the countless times I have left the gym daydreaming for that time when after class I would be coming home to my baby, wondering if it will ever happen.

Well, I today did not have to daydream or wish or hope - I came home to my Beanie !

 


8 comments:

  1. Congrats, I'm glad it went so well! I understand why you dropped out during pregnancy. Glad it feels good to get back into it, and what a great vision to return home too! What a cutie! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. She is beautiful (and I don't say that about every baby)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you were none the worse for wear having not been there for 10 months.

    She's a real cutie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dreams do come true :) just look at your precious girl!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! I was wondering when we would see Beanie again. She is absolutely adorable!!! I'm so happy for you that your daydream came true!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great return to yoga (and consequent return to your home to find baby waiting)!

    ReplyDelete
  7. She is beautiful! Glad the class went so well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your daughter is absolutely adorable!

    ReplyDelete