Monday, May 27, 2013

My New Normal

I am adjusting to life with a baby. 

Beanie is doing well. There are days when she is super fussy and needing to be constantly burped, and not sleeping during the day. Then there are days when she is calm and takes her naps. So each day is an adventure.

Our normal routine is that we wake about 7-7:30am and I feed her, then get myself some tea. She is really chatty in the morning so we "talk" and then I sit her in the bouncy chair while I shower. I have mastered the 5 min shower!

Then we go downstairs.

She lays on her playmat while I make breakfast, eat while playing and checking my work emails. The nanny arrives at 10am.  She gets Beanie changed into her clothes that I have laid out. Once they are settled in, I go for a walk.

The nanny then plays with her, gets her to nap mid-day. I do all the feedings.  In the evening, my Mom comes at 4pm for a couple of hours after the nanny leaves and usually will stay for dinner. Either I cook dinner or my Mom does. My Dad comes over to eat and see Beanie.  Beanie gets a feed at 7-7:30pm and after I eat she gets in her PJs. So, we are normally ready for bed from 8-8:30ish.  Ready for bed does not mean sleep, that could be around 9:30ish or even 10pm.

In terms of feeding I do usually three -- one around 12pm, 3am and 5:30am. There are some nights where I only do two feedings and some like yesterdays when Beanie slept from 10pm to 3am - wow!!  Not sure if it was a fluke, but hoping its a new trend. I woke up at 1:40am and pumped since I was pretty full. My supply is doing okay. I stopped the Fenugreek but take Mother's Milk tea daily which helps.

Beanie turned 2 months yesterday so we celebrated with a lunch.

Just hot dogs and the usual Memorial Day BBQ type things. It was just my parents, Beanie and I.  Later in  the evening my niece and nephew came over to see her. No word from my Sis (not surprising).

In terms if firsts, yesterday I woke up to find Beanie sucking her thumb, so cute. She tends to sleep on me during the early hours of the morning, attached to me like a baby lemur. I wake up to this sucking sound and she had her head nestled in my neck and is happily sleeping and sucking away.

I also had my first day out alone with Beanie. We went to Target to run some errands. Normally I am lucky to have my Mom watch her while I do my grocery and other shopping, but yesterday I wanted to try it on my own.  Its not the logistics that concern me but how Beanie would behave. It was pretty good. She was awake sucking her binky and then fell asleep.

She is now smiling a lot and talks a LOT - boy, is she loud. Its really super cute!!! She has the sweetest smile ever - bet every Mom thinks that of their baby, right? She is also beginning to try to grab her mobile and making some very rudimentary attempts to roll over. We have been remiss with tummy time, so I am going to start doing that daily now. She does lift her head and hold it so I know that she does have that head control developing.

This week we have her 2 month check up so I am keen to know how much she weighs and how much she has grown. She will also get her shots. I have a long list of questions for the pediatrician.

*****For the SMC's reading, did you go with the CDC schedule or do a delayed schedule of vaccinations?  I am not worried about the whole autism link since that study has been discredited, but more just the fact that 5 shots in one day (Month 2) seems excessive. I mean I would not like to get 4 pokes in one day!!!! 

8 comments:

  1. So glad to see that you and Beanie are settling nicely together. Motherhood suits you well and I love reading about Beanie's little milestones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Harper is getting all her vaccines on Wednesday. We're running a little behind due to our pedi being on vacation last week. I considered delaying vaccines but decided to go with the CDC guidelines. It sounds stupid, but my entire work is wrapped up in CDC guidelines, I figure they know what they're talking about. I'm VERY nervous about it tho, I can't lie.
    So glad to hear you and Beanie are doing well!! I miss blogging so much but now that I'm back to work, it's even harder to get it done!! I'm glad to see your update today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your life/schedule sounds perfect. I'm so glad to see you have lots of help, I'm sure that makes this transition so much more pleasant.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad that things are going well for you and Beanie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was a basket case before B's first shots, but he's had them all, including the disputed MMR, on time, and has never had the slightest ill effect from any of them. You'll be ok! They forget about it two seconds after they happen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like things are going great!! I'm not sure if shots are done differently in Canada & the US but I went with the recommendations by our Dr...I don't remember E getting 5 shots at once, but maybe she did...the best advice I received was to give E a dose of Tylenol just before our appointment & that took the edge off the poke pain...I gave once other dose 4 hours later & she was fine, tho tender at the poke site. Good luck...hope she does well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. She sounds adorable. Will you be posting more photos of her soon?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a nice routine. I can't believe she's already 2 months.

    ReplyDelete