Thursday, May 9, 2013

A moment to spare...

I actually have a few minutes between work and the baby to write a short post.

Beanie and I are doing good. She is going through her 6 week growth spurt so basically wanting to nurse every couple of hours, not sleeping for long periods and generally fussy and restless, so its been a rough few nights.

Last night was a bit better in that I did get a 2 hr stretch of sleep at one point which felt wonderful, after that it was 30-45 min sleep at a time. Luckily I am able to fall asleep quickly and even dream in those short sleep sessions.

Motherhood is a journey and both Beanie and I are learning about each other.

I am beginning to understand some of her cues, although there are still times when she is crying and I sort of go down the list of - burp, tummy gas, diaper and/or hunger. Its invariably one of those. She does not cry for no reason which is good.

Last night she woke up from sleep crying since she had a burp stuck. I later massaged her little tummy for 15 min and she tooted a ton and felt better.

She is now only pottying infrequently which is apparently normal. She went 2.5 days without pooping and finally had a huge blowout. Thank goodness she was wearing pants at the time. I had 7 min before a conference call to clean her up!

The best coping mechanism is to have a sense of humor about all this...when she has be up for hours on end at night and I am exhausted, all I can do is look at her sweet face and laugh. She will only be so young for so long - so each day is an adventure.

She is liking falling asleep in our arms which I am complying with for now since she is too little. Later we will start putting her down sooner so she can hopefully learn to soother herself to sleep.

We still don't have a routine or schedule. I am doing baby-led feeding every 2-3 hours, but maintaining some general schedule of play time between 10am-12pm and getting into jammies around 8pm and an afternoon nap around 2pm. 

My Mom is still her helping me during the day until the nanny starts next week. I also have the workers coming to fix the closet ceiling so it will be a crazy week.

My tooth is still not quite right. I went back earlier this week and she made some adjustment and again mentioned root canal. I will give it a few days before I decide what to do. It does seem better...but then again I have not really chewed from that side yet so we shall see. What a pain!

Oh and in some funny news.

About 3-4 days ago I felt the water in the shower smelt really funny - chemical type smell and really strong. I ignored it, however, it continued the next day or two. I though it may be my water heater  or worse, the pipes. So I did some googling and they suggested checking the other faucets in the house to isolate the issue, but they all had the same smell. Also the cold water had it too which pointed to the city water.

I went to my parents house and their water had the same small. So, yesterday I called the city and they said there had been a problem with the water. It was safe to drink etc but they were flushing it out one neighbourhood at a time. It would be nice of they had posted something on their website!

At least, I was not imagining it....and its not my water heater or pipes - yay!

7 comments:

  1. We get those same smells here once in a while. Sometimes its a strong chlorine smells other times its more of a sulphur smell. The later is usually when they've had a pipe break somewhere in the system. So nasty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love reading your posts Sunflower, I love that you have your little girl now and your life is changing the way you wanted it. What a wonderful bonding time for you two. Take tons of pictures!! Everyone says they change so fast and time flies. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have to echo kharini and say I love reading your posts too. It seems like you are not only adjusting well to motherhood but actually enjoying it. I wish you many more precious moments with Beanie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was up every 2 hours or less with Finn at that age - and then one day he suddenly went 3 hours, and then 4 hours between waking up. Oh, life got so much easier then!

    I can't believe you're working - glad your mom is being a good support.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad to hear you girls are doing well!! Hope the transition to work hasn't been too bad. Happy first Mother's Day if you don't post between now and then!! Enjoy your special day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. "Motherhood is a journey and both Beanie and I are learning about each other." So beautifully said. You sounds so blissfully happy! It's so nice to read. Keeping a sense of humour in the rough patches is definitely a good coping strategy. Happy Mother's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think having a sense of humour about things is good but, in truth, you sound like you're enjoying it.

    Ouch. Tooth issues are not fun.

    ReplyDelete