This was Beanie's first Halloween going out to Trick or Treat.
The first couple of years (2013 and 2014) she was very shy and wary of strangers so while I dressed her in costume for daycare, we did not go anywhere or hand out candy.
Last year she was slightly more social, but she had never eaten candy and I wanted to keep it that way, so we skipped it entirely and did not hand out anything either.
This year she is 3 1/2 so she heard about it in school, plus she had been introduced to candy at the 4th of July parade this year (ugh!), so I felt it was a good time. We had been talking about it for a while and she was very excited to get dressed up. She decided to become a butterfly and I got her costume about a month ago. We also did lots of decorations in the house and got into the spirit of it all, which was fun.
On Monday she came back from school, had her snack and when she went upstairs I had her costume all laid out. She was thrilled and wanted to wear it ASAP. It was only about 5:15pm - lol. I got her dressed and took pictures.
Then around 6 ish we went out - she could not contain her excitement. Some kids from across the street had already started that early. So we waited for them to come to out house, Beanie handed them candy, and we joined them in walking down the street to the cul-de-sac. She was really excited to walk with the group of older kids (11-7 yrs). Unfortunately, none of the houses at the bottom of the street were handing out candy. The rest of the kids took off in another direction and Beanie and I went at it alone, past our house towards the top of the street.
My next door neighbour had candy to offer and bought Beanie a book (so sweet), we then continued up the hill on our street, past the houses at the top of the hill and down the street behind our house.It was nice meetings the neighbors on the other street, whom we really don't see much. Beanie was thrilled that most houses were offering candy.
We also met up with a new neighbor who recently moved in. They have a 3 year old girl, so we joined up with them and did the rest of the street. It was so much fun!! I used to go trick or treat with my niece and nephew every year and it was so special going with Beanie.
She got quite a haul. We came home and my parents were over with pizza. Beanie ate a few pieces of candy and had dinner.
She has been pretty good about letting me choose what she can eat out of the candy and not fussing that she cannot eat it all. In fact, she has been so compliant that yesterday and today she got one small piece to eat when she came back from school. I may continue for a day or so more - it is a fun time of the year. Of course, the bucket has since been halved and will be halved again tonight, but I am really very proud of her.
We have a birthday party to go to on Sat where they have requested the kids come in costume so that will be another day for Beanie to dress up :-)
The front of the wings are muti-colored. I added the black sparkly skirt to give it a bit more pizzaz. And it looked really cute.

I totally understand why you don't post pictures on the blog – but I sure wish I could see Beanie's costume. I bet she was super cute. 😊 Glad you guys had so much fun.
ReplyDelete