Yesterday (Mar 1, 2016) was Beanie's first dance class. Needless to say both she and I were very excited about it. When she woke from nap in school she told her teachers that she was going for dance.
As I mentioned in my last post this class is from 6-7pm. A bit later than I would have liked but its only until May and next session may be earlier in the evening. We planned to attend with 2 other girls from her school.
I picked up Beanie at 4:30pm and we went to dinner at Tac.o Be.ll. Her suggestion and the fact that it is one of the rare places where she will eat meat I was all for it! We had a nice relaxed early dinner. I changed her pull-up and we headed out to the dance studio.
We got there around 5:35pm. I had to sign some papers and we waited.
First impressions - the place was loud! They had 3 classes and two of them had doors open and the music was pretty loud. I am surprised Beanie did not object to it. She was very curious about the dancers and kept peeking in.
Finally her friend arrived. And class started.
I was underwhelmed to be honest. The "teachers" were two young 18 year old and they started class with circle time and what was basically stretching. Beanie sat for 5 min and came out with a crying face to say she did not like it. I think she wanted twirling/spinning and some activity. She hung out with me in the doorway and watched. I gently tried to encourage her to go back but she did not want to, and I don't blame her. It seemed very boring.
Finally at about 6:24pm I asked her if she wanted to go home since we were just standing there watching. Just then the class started moving around and that peaked her interest so she went back in and THEN she had a good time. They ran and twirled and jumped etc, so it was much more fun and she seemed to be enjoying herself.
At then end if class I was dismayed to see the teacher open up some candy and offer to the kids. Seriously!! My kid does not eat candy - at all. Of course Beanie gleefully grabbed a lollipop with the others. I was annoyed with the school since I don't think giving candy at 7pm is a good idea. And I cannot prevent Beanie from getting one if all the others are - ugh.
She sucked her lollipop and said it was "super yummy". I told her that next time I will bring an appropriate organic treat and trade it with her in the car. She agreed.
Overall, Beanie ended up having a good time and she wants to go again. I was generally quite disappointed. Not sure what I expected really. But if Beanie likes it then that it what is important.
I will buy her the appropriate clothes and ballet and tap shoes and get her signed up next week. Her friend is signing up too. The third little girl was unable to come yesterday and may join in next week.
It will be nice social event and in that respect it will be fun.
Oh dear, how disappointing. :-/ I do know they sometimes tend to do stretching and circle time to help little ones pay attention and start copying their movements but sounds like way too much stillness. Candy at the end - blech! Unnecessary bribery pure and simple. They do sound pretty immature but hopefully they will expand the movement as time goes on. It is a nice social time for Beanie with her friends it seems so that's nice of you to keep going with it.
ReplyDelete