Monday, March 7, 2016

Bye Bye Binky

We have finally got rid of the binky. Just in time for Beanie's upcoming 3rd birthday! And to be honest it did not go too badly.

I had been telling her for months that once her current stash of binkies was over, I would not be buying anymore and they would be "all done". She seemed to get it.

Keep in mind this is a kid who has been using binkies since birth. They stuck it in her mouth in the hospital and even though I swore I would not have my baby use one, I got sucked into it (pun unintended) . Even as a little baby, she would be able to scoop up her binky in the dark. In fact I would wait until I heard the soft plop of the binky falling out of her mouth as a sign she was really truly asleep. For almost a year, she would sleep with one in her mouth and one in her hand!

Over the years we slowly progressed a little. She stopped using it in school about a year+ ago, and at home we got it reduced to predominately car and night time use. We stopped taking it to stores and then even to my parents house. But while at home on weekend's and evenings she would still want to use it and it was a constant struggle to keep it away. As soon as she saw it, it would be in her mouth.

On many occasions, I would hide it and she would forget about it for several hours until nighttime, so we were makings some progress.

About a month ago her last binky got a hole in it. I was secretly thrilled although I commiserated with her. Unfortunately that occurred right in the middle of the work week and when I had lost my voice due to a cold. It was just not the right time for me to deal with the inevitable meltdowns.

I  dug around and found one old binky which was still usable, and Beanie gleefully took that one. Then a couple of weeks ago Feb 25th to be exact, that last binky got a small tear too. Not surprising since it was quite old. I told Beanie "well this is the last one now". She fussed and insisted she wanted to hold it in her hand etc.

I was nervous that she would suck it at night and it would break in her mouth, so I grudgingly bought a new pack to keep as a back up in case push came to shove.

It was now Friday Feb 27 and I made an executive decision. We were going to do this NOW!  It was a weekend and I was prepared to handle tantrums and a poor nights sleep.

I dropped her to school and she did not have the binky in the car. She asked for it and I told her I could not find it when I made the bed that morning and I would look for it when I got back home. I found it and hid it.

When I picked her up she asked for it. I reminded her it was broken and unusable and then (ugh) I lied and said I did not know where it was.

That was it!! 

Literally...

It has now been about10 days and she had only mentioned it twice in passing. Once when taking a nap a week ago and once when she was upset in the car. Both times I reminded her that it was broken and we were all done with it, and she let it go.

So I am calling it, folks.

We are DONE with binky!!!

Yay!!!!





1 comment: