We had a really busy weekend, not all of it good, so I am still recovering..
After a (rare) healthy week for both Beanie and I, where I barely had a chance to catch up on some sleep, on Friday evening Beanie's nose starts running.
Are you kidding me??
I literately wanted to sit and cry. I was so not ready for sleepless nights AGAIN!!!!
We had an awful night as a result. I was in a bad mood to begin with. Then she kept saying her "nosey did not feel gud" but she would not let me do anything about it (e.g. suction, steaming, or saline spray) other than wipe it which made me even more frustrated. She kept waking every hour and crying. After the first 3 times of trying to comfort her, sit in the rocking chair to lull her to sleep, etc, I just had to give up. She cried for what seemed like ages (but was probably about 10 min) then fell asleep. I felt like a horrible person but I was so damn tired.
Next day - Saturday - we were both exhausted but had a busy day planned.
It was an Open House in her school. She started with a cough that morning, but we went to the open house at 12pm which was really nice (other than her coughing). I went to her classroom and she held my hand and showed me all the 'work' they do. She took out some of her favorite activities and did them for me so i could watch her. Her teachers were very complimentary of her again. We then went to the primary class downstairs. My Mom teaches there part time so Beanie was happy to see "dammy" and we saw where Beanie napped and had afternoon snack.
We had made plans for a play date with a classmate that afternoon to go berry picking. Beanie was REALLY excited about it! Since she did not have a fever or anything else, other than a cough and runny nose, I did not want to cancel.
We arrived at the farm while the other family were driving down from their home, only to be told that all the strawberries had been picked already!!! Poor Beanie was so disappointed.
When the other family arrived we decided to take the girls (they have 2) to the park where another family from school (the one with 4 kids I wrote about previously) were playing.
Beanie was happy to know there was some fun activity planned, and we spent a nice hour or so at the park with her two classmates and their families. I had an opportunity to chat with this Mom who I really like. The other Mom I have known for while and it was nice to catch up.
All three little ones were getting cranky by about 2:30 om so we all packed up to go home. Beanie fell asleep in the car.
In the evening, we went to my parents for a small gathering for my nephew who is headed overseas for the summer. Beanie got to play with their cat and had a good time.
Sat night was better since her coughing had subsided, so we got some rest. Well, she did. I kept getting kicked in my back all night long by her!
On Sunday - Mother's Day - Beanie was feeling much better so we did some gardening after breakfast and then went out to lunch with my Mom. Beanie looked like an angel in her pretty yellow dress, and was so excited to be going to a "party".
Lunch was fun since Beanie was in a good mood, but a disappointment food wise. She had grilled cheese sandwich and broccoli but the sandwich was too "crunchy" and she declared "I don't like crunchy" and the broccoli was to hard for baby teeth.
My steak was rock hard so I had to return it. By the time I got a new one Beanie was done with lunch and wanted to leave. The manager got my plate and I told him I was not paying for it and he ruined my Mothers Day because now my kid wants to leave. I was hungry so I did not want it "to go" and I ended up swallowing my steak in 10 min flat while my Mom sat outside with Beanie. He did comp my meal.
Later we went for ice cream which Beanie really enjoyed.
That afternoon she woke up complaining of a tummy ache. I figured it was over indulgence in the ice cream since she did not let me give her just a half portion as I normally would have done at home. She ate dinner which I kept very bland, but before bed she threw up all over the kitchen floor and ended up with a slight fever - sigh!
So that is how our Mother's Day ended! Luckily (or unluckily) experience has taught me not to hold high expectations of such days, so it is what it is.
Today I kept her home from school.
I think the weekend was just too busy and some of our normal meal times on Sat where messed up because of the activities that were planned around the noon open house appointment. I just wanted her to have a day home to chill, not have to rush anywhere and feel better.
Ugh! Sorry about the runny nose and the upset tummy and the crummy lunch. Hopefully she is feeling better soon!
ReplyDeleteAw, what a bummer. Very wise about not having high expectations
ReplyDelete