Tuesday, January 13, 2015
Waiting for the Call
I am so angry, upset, pissed off -- you name it -- not to mention incredibly sad!
The estimate to fix my car came in at $8,500!! My car's blue book value is less so I have sinking feeling the other guy's insurance may call it a total loss.
I LOVE my car!
It was my first "baby". It is a luxury car with 6 cylinders, leather seats and the whole nine yards. Back in those days I could afford it!
The car is 13 years old, but in incredibly good shape since I have maintained it very well. It has only 74K miles on it....so it would be good to use for many many years.
In fact, I was just chatting with my niece two weeks back about cars and saying that God willing this car would see me through a good 6-7 years at least.
Now I may lose my car.
I am so attached to it. Its seen me through so many ups and downs in my life. On bad days I would just sit in my car with the music going and just drive......it always made me feel better.
Not to mention I really do not want to have to make car payments again!!!
I am SO ANGRY with the idiotic kid for having bumped into me. Freaking idiot! I hope his insurance goes through the roof!! Not that that helps me any!
It is so unfair that because of his stupidity I am likely going to have to incur financial loss - down payment, monthly payments etc which were being saved right now.
The insurance has not called me yet, but I bet they will soon :-(
I have no idea what car to even buy/lease. I doubt now with my new expenses I can afford a luxury car. I have always driven that brand and love it so much.
I had a good cry today for my car before I went to pick up Beanie. As I said, my car was my first "baby", my first real asset!
Then when I saw Beanie, I realized it is just a car and its only money.
At least my most precious possession, my Beanie, is fine. So while I will be really sad and disappointed if it is a total loss, things could have been a lot worse and I have be thankful that we are okay.
In other news, I bought Beanie a new car seat over the weekend.
The model I have is no longer available which had me really disappointed since I really liked that seat. I had to scramble and research other models. The one I bought is from the same company but HUGE. I was not even sure it would fit in the rental car.
Getting it home from the store was a nightmare. I had to fit it in the back seat of the rental car - the trunk was not big enough. One end had to rest on Beanie's old seat (she was at home). When I got in the car I realized I could not see out the back.
I was terrified to try and back out in a Wal.Mart parking lot since its always so busy. It was dark and beginning to rain on top of it. I got out of the car and saw a car parked across with a woman in it. So I approached her and asked her if she could guide me. She was really nice and came out right away. I drove home, hoping I would not get in another wreck. My nerves are shot!
Yesterday after dropping Beanie to school, I took out her old seat and installed the new one. Its big, but fits the car rear facing. I am thinking since my car is bigger it should not be an issue. Well, I don't know if I will have my car now, but anyway.
Beanie likes it.
The kid's insurance company will pay for it and will reimburse the $150 I paid for her Dr visit. My insurance guy called me today and said they have accepted 100% responsibility. Ya think!
I am also SO glad I made the decision to keep her rear-facing, even though she is over a year old and 28+ lbs. On one of my old posts before Beanie turned one I was wondering what to do since I had read one year and/or 20 lbs, but a blogger had given me a link to watch. It really opened my eyes to the dangers of ffd facing too soon! Plus the fire marshal who installed her first convertible seat had also mentioned that rear-facing is the safest. So, when the time came to put her in a convertible, I knew she would be rear-facing for a LONG time.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
So frustrating. I'm sorry. :(
ReplyDeleteUrg! I feel you for your car. I'm still driving the first car I bought. It was my first grown up purchase and I always say that I will drive it to the ground because I'm so attached to it. I'm glad the insurance company paid for the new car seat.
ReplyDeleteVery frustrating. I know what you feel about your car, me too.
ReplyDeleteGood to note about rear facing. I'm going to have to start shopping for a convertible car seat soon as my daughter is now almost 18 pounds and just over 26 inches which means by her first birthday she will most likely be too tall for her car seat with the way she is growing. Our SUV is a 2004 and we have started looking at a replacement car. We test drove a 2015 M350 but J decided that he wants a bigger engine and more cargo room. Who knows what we'll end up with but most likely before the year is out we too will have a new car. I detest the extra monthly bill as being debt free is really nice.
ReplyDeleteNew recommendations are to stay rear facing till 3 years, apparently. Ack. Sorry about the car, and the unexpected new expenses.
ReplyDelete