Friday, January 23, 2015

Saying Goodbye and New Friends

Thanks for your support and kind words.

I am doing better - resigned I guess. Cannot turn back the clock.

Yesterday I went to the body shop to say bye to my car. I took some pictures and got to sit in her one last time.  I thanked her for her amazing service to me, for never letting me down and for keeping us safe.

Tiara is correct in her comment that the reason people get attached to cars is because they have memories tied to them, and I have so many good memories tied to the car.  She personified me in so many ways. The other thing is that when nothing was going right in my life - infertility, marriage breaking down - my car was always the one steady RELIABLE thing in my life.

She never let me down!!

Not one single day did I ever wonder if my car would start, or if it would break down, etc. That is saying a  lot!  And the one time in 12 years when she did not start was because I had left a door ajar and the battery drained overnight!

Anyway it was healing to go there and say my piece. She has been moved to a storage/auction location about an hour away :-(

I am still very angry at the situation, but I need to start letting it go.  I have not heard back from the adjuster on the settlement. I have a  number in my mind and I will push for that.  I have looked at comparable and am doing my homework.

Tomorrow I will go and test drive one of the two cars I have have on my list. 

I also made an appt. with my doctor for next week to check out my neck. The insurance sent a check for Beanie very promptly but it is titled as "full settlement of medical claim". So before I cash it, I want to make sure my neck is fine. I still have pain every few days, but I had issues before all this and I want to confirm the accident did not aggravate anything.


In other news...

I was asked out on a  "date" by one of the Mom's in Beanie's school. Not a  play date, but lunch with her while our daughters are in school!  I like this Mom - her daughter just joined the school and it looks like she (the Mom) is looking for friends as well since she is very chatty.  She is expecting a second baby and is about seven months pregnant.We have not exchanged contact information so nothing is set up but next time I see her I will make sure we do that. I usually do not have my phone when I go to pick up Beanie, but will keep it in my pocket so if I see her we can set something up.

There is another Mom I like and chat with, when we run into each other in school. I have approached her about play dates on a  couple of occasions. She is very agreeable to it, but we have not gotten together. I read some good tips on one of the other blogs about setting up play dates, so I will use some of those tips.

I went on a girls night out last Sat evening. I was not in the mood with all that is going on, but glad I went. It was with the director of Beanie's school and a friend of hers whom I have met a few times. We went for sushi and had a really nice evening. It was the first time I had gone out for dinner myself since I cannot even remember when!

I hope this other Mom and I can plan something soon. I want to build my social circle a bit this year.


5 comments:

  1. Sorry about having to let go of your car. Building up your social circle can be difficult I've learned that. Since moving to our new duty station I've made a few new acquaintances but that is it. We chat more online and less in real life which is a real bummer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, I'm sorry that things won't work out with your car and that you have to let her go. I know how easy it is to get attached to something which holds so many great memories.
    Good luck with setting up your lunch "date"!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have fun on your mom dates! Sounds like you're pretty skilled at socializing – I admire that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry about your car and I understand where you are coming from. I love my car, her name is Jane, she is a great support and also reliable. I can't tell how many times when I was upset, sad, angry or whatever, I got in my car for a nice drive and always felt happier afterwards. As silly as it sounds, I talk to her while driving, it makes me feel better. I know I sound coocoo!

    As for building your social network, one of the things I found was to set up a date immediately. The whole "we should get together one of these days" rarely leads to anything. So when a mom tells me "we should get together" I always reply something like "great, how about Wednesday (or whatever time works for me)". Most time, we are able to end the conversation with a set date. And I'm also always checking out the baby friendly activities going on in my neighbourhood or baby friendly hang out places, I find it also makes it easier to set up dates when you also have a location.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you find a car you can love as much as your old one.

    Good luck with your mom "date"...I am so jealous she initiated it with you!! You know what I've been going through on my end!

    ReplyDelete