Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Snow days, Nannies and Resolutions

Geez...its really cold! Like most of the country we are in the deep freeze with lows in the single digits.

This week Beanie was to start daycare three times a week, instead if two. As luck would have it the daycare was closed on Monday due to county school closures in anticipation of snow/ice.

Well it did not snow or ice on Monday so it was a bit anti-climatic.

Today the daycare/school decided to open and I got permission to take Beanie even though it was not her scheduled day. But in the morning with a high of 9 degrees F, I decided she would stay home. My Mom came over to take care of her while I worked.

Then around 2pm I see an email from the school saying that they had water pipes burst and so parents needed to come ASAP to pick up the kids since they were concerned the car park would freeze over with all the water. We were told that the school was working to dry things out, apparently the reception area and infant room was most affected.

Later we got an email saying they were confident that things would dry out overnight with all the humidifiers and fans etc. if not the infants would be moved - cribs, toys and all to another room. So maybe Beanie will get to go to school tomorrow. She is getting quite bored at home.


I am back to work after 2 weeks off. It was nice not working but I am not rested. Beanie still wakes multiple times at night so sleep is still a very rare commodity. She has yet another cold so her cough keeps her up. I really did not expect to be so sleep deprived with a 9 month old, but I have accepted that Beanie is just not the best sleeper and it is what it is!

On Sunday my Mom felt sorry for us and came over in the morning. Both Beanie and I slept 3 hours each! That felt great. Then yesterday Beanie surprised me by sleeping from 7pm to 3am before her first major wake up - so basically every night is different. I cannot hard core sleep train her since she always has the sniffles or cough and I don't want to do it when she is sick and needs TLC.

I have grudgingly accepted the 5:30am wake-ups as well. So now it does not bother me as much. I think my hoping each night that we could sleep in and not being able to, was causing me more angst. Now that I accept that I will be up with the birds, I am in a much better frame of mind. If, like today, she surprised me by waking at 7am that is a bonus.

I have been busy the past two weeks interviewing nannies. I decided to use a commercial website and posted an ad. I have found one young girl whom I liked and she will start on Thursday. I will have her come in on Tue/Thurs (9-5pm). This will give my Mom a break since she has been taking care of Beanie since I went back to work at 6 weeks post partum.  My Mom will still come in the when Beanie gets back from daycare (she cannot stay away from Beanie) but at least she can now relax and enjoy her retirement finally.

I don't have any major resolutions for 2014 expect that I need to better take care of my self.  Basically take the time to eat properly (and more calories!) and go back to working out.  Its hard with a baby. Literally every time I put food in my mouth Beanie needs me for something, as a result I am eating half the volume of food I did before and burning a ton of calories lugging a 20lbs baby up and down the stairs 100 times a day. 

I have also scheduled the nanny for two Sat a month for a few hours so I can get back to my yoga class since that really centers me and is a great stress release.

I am also going to try to worry less (easier said than done) over every little thing. Now that I have been through several illnesses with Beanie I am feeling a bit more confident handling medical issues. As a FTM its always really nerve wracking when you baby is sick, and Beanie has been sick a lot this winter.

So, eating well, getting back to yoga and stressing less - those are my resolutions!


7 comments:

  1. Hope Beanie feels better soon!! I'm glad she wasn't at the day care today after all. Please do take care of yourself. It is even harder for a sick mama to take care of a sick baby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great resolutions! Glad you found someone you like to care for Beanie. I found it interesting what you said about the shift in feelings when you accepted you would be up with the birds - I appreciate that reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you for making time for yourself. Happy new year to you & hope Beanie is better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hoping it all works out well so that you get a chance to eat and sleep more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your resolutions and think your plan to have the nanny there for some time on Saturdays is a good one. I do suspect that your mom probably was already enjoying her retirement though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great resolutions. Making time to take care of yourself will only make you a better mommy to Beanie. Enjoy the new year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great resolutions! Hope you find your nanny soon so you can get back to your yoga.

    ReplyDelete