Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Snowed In!

We are snowed in!

We got 3 inches of snow yesterday!!

And before you folks in Canada and up North laugh, that is a LOT of snow for us Southerners and the city is effectively shut down!

I sent Beanie to school yesterday since the flurries were expected to start later in the afternoon, but by about 11am it started to snow. My parents kept calling me every 10 minutes asking if I was going to pick her up.

Since I had a busy afternoon at work with back to back calls, I decided to get her early rather than at 3pm as planned. Just as I was thinking of leaving, when I get a call on my cellphone.

It was the Director of the school telling me that they had decided to close early. So, Beanie got picked up at about 11:30am.

I could tell that she was not excited, about coming home since she was having a lot of fun in school. My Mom came around that time with bag and baggage, with the plan to spend the night since we figured we would all be snowed in.

At about 5:30pm I decided to call in for some pizza for dinner, but both pizza places were closed due to weather, so I decided to drive to the grocery store.

There was snow on the ground but the soft kind, not ice. Anyways I back out of the driveway fine and just as I am reversing to get on the road the car gets stuck!

Ugh...I tried to hit the gas, no luck...just an awful crunching sound and tires spinning.

 I decided to abort my trip and prayed I could get the car back in the garage which I was able to - thankfully!

So that was my adeventure!

Today no one in the neighborhood has stepped out. I am curious to know if the local shops are open but don't plan to go anywhere. We have enough food at home.

I expect the roads will be pretty bad tomorrow as well - icy!

My nanny called to say that she is not going to make it tomorrow. Today was her day as well, but I had planned to take Beanie for a follow up to the neurologist in the city and had taken the day off so she was not coming in anyways.

So today we are just chilling (literally) at home!

Hats off to those of you who live in cold climate.  I am so ready for winter to be over!

7 comments:

  1. Hoping that the snow and ice are soon a thing of the past for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to confess I giggled a little bit when you said 3 inches. But, I can understand how that much will shut a city down that isn't used to getting it or dealing with it. Around here the plows would be out quick and 3 inches on unplowed roads would be an issue too. Try to enjoy it, it sounds like a special event.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also have to giggle a little at three inches and the fact that pizza places and everything shut down.
    But, I understand how annoying (and scary) it can be when a car gets stuck in the snow. Makes me glad that the level of snow we get means we automatically put snow tires on our cars every winter which definitely (though not always) helps keep the car from getting stuck.
    Enjoy your snow day(s) and I hope things warm up for you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a northerner currently living in the South. I alwsys find it humorous when a couple of inches shuts the town down. We got several inches last night that gave us a snow day today.

    Enjoy the down time and the excuse to just hang out with beanie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alabama shut down also. In Nashville we just have the cold and no snow, but we have had those snow events and they are no fun. :-( Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha! Just laughing at your comment..."before you folks in Canada and up North laugh, that is a LOT of snow for us Southerners"...you know us well. We had six feet of snow up here last year until mid-April - 3 inches is nothing (just kidding! I know that's a lot for you guys!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love snow days! Unfortunately living in Montreal, it takes A LOT of snow for it to be considered a snow day. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete