Thursday, October 31, 2013

Spooked

I had grand plans for our first Halloween but it all got changed.

Here is how the day played out...

I dressed Beanie in her costume for school since I figured it made sense for her to look cute for the major part of the day rather than a couple of hours in the evening. It was a very comfy outfit so I was okay with her wearing it for a few hours.

She looked adorable dressed as a  Pumpkin Princess and was dropped off at school happily. Her teacher very kindly took a pic of Beanie and I which  was great since I don't have too many pictures of us together. Its mainly me taking pics of her by herself.

On the way back home I decided to surprise her with a  balloon.

She has never seen one and so I bought a nice orange one which says Happy Halloween, and some orange and purple fresh flowers for the house.

As you can tell I was quite in the holiday spirit.

I had a appointment this morning with my old GYN. She was so happy to see me. If you recall she had given me her email address so I could email her through my pregnancy and she was super supportive and kind during the T18 situation.

My appt went well. They have a  new rule now that no pap smears for 3 years of you have a normal PAP and HPV result. But she did an internal and said all seemed well. My fibroids were still really tiny (the ones that were too small to take out in 2011 with the robotic myomectomy). The fact they did not grow during my pregnancy is a good thing!

Later I picked up Beanie, all excited to show her the balloon.

Well, she saw it....

.... and her face crumpled up and she whimpered like she was really spooked by it!

I was crushed :-(

I tried to make it fun -- "see it goes up , it comes down"....nope she was having none of it.

My Mom got all protective and insisted it be banished immediately, so I stuck it in the corner of the living room hoping it will grow on her.

After a bath when we came down she saw it from the corner of her eye and again looked quite spooked. So it was permanently banished into a  cupboard - sigh!

She then seemed to object to the purple and orange flowers in the dining room, and to the lawnmower that the landscaping guys came with. So anyway, I don't think it was just the balloon that scared her. Maybe she saw other older kids dressed up at school?

Anyway, I decided to not do "trick or treat" in the evening. I was not planning on going anywhere but just handing out candy with Beanie all dressed up on my hip (something I had been dreaming of doing since last year). But I figured the kids dressed up would scare her more.

Oh well.....so we chucked the costume in the wash, and just stayed in and snuggled and played.

That was a lot of fun too :-)

Thank goodness I am not much into candy so its unlikely that I will break open the bags that lie unopened near the front door!





7 comments:

  1. Awww. It must have just been a weird day for her. Next year she'll be thrilled I'll bet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Evelyn that next year will probably be better. I am glad you have such a great treat with you tonight. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry that she wasn't into Halloween this year. Maybe next year.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, sorry your Halloween spirit wasn't shared by Beanie this year, at least not with regard to balloons and flowers! You probably read the situation right that there were a lot of new and somewhat startling things in her world and maybe it got a little overwhelming. Glad you had a good night anyway and congrats on the great checkup!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Next year will be more fun for her. I bet she looked adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I admire our will power not to crack open that bag of candy!! Sorry it wasn't the Halloween you'd hoped for...but it sounds just as good in the end.

    ReplyDelete