Friday, October 11, 2013

A Few Firsts

Last night, for the first time ever, Beanie slept through the night.

And I really mean slept through the night, not like the message boards where women brag about their 6 weeks old STTN but waking two times to eat. Um...that is not sleeping through the night in my book.

Beanie did not wake for food or pacifier from 7:40pm until 6:30am. I woke several times simply because my body is conditioned to doing so now, and I saw her peacefully sleeping in my bed.

Of course, she is a bed hog so she was horizontal across the middle of the bed, giving me maybe a foot and a half of space to squeeze myself into and not drop off the edge :-)

Not sure if its a fluke (I sort of think it is), but it is worth noting as a "first".  It was a wonderful departure from the night before last when I only got 3 hours of sleep and she was up from 3am until 7am, all happy and playful. I was so exhausted that day since work was very busy too.

Yesterday was another first since I had to go up north for a business meeting. Thank goodness, Beanie slept better on Wed night since I could not have gone on 3 hrs of sleep for a  second day, commuted 3 hours and been productive at my business meeting.

I left Beanie at daycare at 9am and picked her up at 3pm which is the longest she has been there in a day. The other thing is that because I was at a customer site, I could not log into the daycare site to see Beanie online which I do when I work from home.

So, it was the first time I had no contact with her for 6 hours.

Man, it was rough!

All I could do was think about her all the time and I could not wait to get home. While driving I wished I could have wings and flown over, or like Star Tr.ek "transported" myself.

I hugged her so tightly when I picked her up. She too missed me and when we came home she was so excited when I was playing with her, her entire body was wiggling around.

Today when Beanie woke up she was trying to get on all fours. She has been able to raise herself on on her hands for a  long time, but today she could raise herself on her knees. Just not both hands and knees at the same time....but I think she will be able to fairly soon.

In other news, I need a new dishwasher. The one I have is old, original to the house so about 15 years old and was a bit worn, but was working fine until the dial broke a couple of days ago. I have wanted to replace it but was undecided if I should change all my appliances to stainless steel. They are currently white.

Given that my job situation is iffy and I may have to move if I get laid off, I decided to stick with a white appliance for now so it matches the rest of the stuff.  It blends in pretty well with the white cabinetry. Plus it will be able to hide any fingerprints that Beanie will be putting on there when she starts to crawl.

I am slowly starting to baby proof the house, starting with the plug points. I need to then address the cabinets, toilets, doors and get baby gates for the stairs.  I did purchase a play yard for her that I can set up in the living room to keep her contained.

The consignment stores around don't have any stuff other than clothes (eg. high chair, jumparoo, baby gates, etc) so I am having to buy it all retail which sucks only because I doubt I will have another baby so its not going to be re-used once she outgrows it.

I did have waves of nostalgia yesterday as I took the same freeway I used to take to the RE's clinic. I have done that drive countless times and as I passed the exit, I could feel all the emotions washing over me for all the times I drove there for procedures, transfers, betas, lining checks invariably getting bad news and feeling hopeless, until finally when I was so tired of it all and close to giving up, the good news.

Will write more about my thoughts on T42 in a later post.

BTW - ladies with blogs on Wordpress. I don't see your updated posts on my blog. So I seem to be missing a lot of them :-(

4 comments:

  1. I think the long sleep wasn't a fluke, just a start. I'm sure it'll happen more and more often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for sleeping through the night! I hope it continues.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome to hear Beanie sleeping through the night. Hope for many more nights like this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let's hope this is the beginning of more settled sleeps for both of you! And I can totally sympathise with the buying new stuff for baby, we're in the same situation so each purchase is researched to death before finally deciding and buying the best priced version. Hopefully you might be able to sell some of the baby stuff when Beanie outgrows it.

    ReplyDelete