Saturday, February 11, 2023

2023 ...and we got it...

 After avoiding COVID for three years, despite multiple vaxs, wearing masks etc.....Beanie and I got COVID in late Jan.

I know it was inevitable, especially with this new strain XBB or whatever its called. Both Beanie and I had our Bivalent shots in mid Dec, so I realy thought we were protected and I guess we were, since it was fairly mild.

Sun Jan 22: Day 0
Mid-day I felt some congestion on right side of my face, nose was a bit blocked, slight post nasal. Did not think much of it - the weather has been all over the place so figured allergy.

Mon Jan 23: Day 1
I was more stuffed up only on right side, so took a Zrytec. Dropped Beanie to school, did groceries (masked as usual), I did an extra big shop, thinking that if I was coming down with a cold, we would be well stocked for food. Came home did laundry, emptied dishwasher, and began work. 

Around 10am I took a decongesant to help with the sinus headache and pressure I felt.

I was busy with work feeling fine, execpt for the sinus/congestion (right side only). I did notice two things as the day progressed: (1) My hear rate was higher than normal per my Fitbit  (2) I was a bit cold.

I recalled a friend telling me she has sinus symptoms and it turned out to be COVID. So just to rule it out, I took the test. I was totally SHOCKED to see it come up positive within 5 min. 

I say shocked because although Beanie and I go to stores or eat out, we are always masked in stores, and sit outdoors when we eat and are very cautious. I have no clue where I picked it up.

I emailed my boss and told him. I then called Beanie's school and spoke with the Nurse, She said that COVID was now being treated like any respitory virus and that Beanie could come to school if she had no symptoms, but should wear a mask. Which was fine since I still have her masked in school because of all the flu, RSV that was going around.

Beanie had Science Olympiad meeting that day so I picked her up at 3:30pm, wearing a mask. I told her I had COVID hoping she would not freak out. I felt perfectly fine, except for the right side congestion.

I took up residence in the guest bedoom so Beanie could sleep in her bed which is in my bedroom, I wore may mask at home. I cooked dinner, cleaned up and by then I had vey slight fever about 100.2. Went to be and had a very restless night.

Tue Jan 24: Day 2
Still congested, with a headache Only right nostril was blocked and some post nasal drip. I dropped Beanie to school and took the day off to rest since I did not sleep well the night before. I did a virtual Dr visit to check in so they knew I had COVID. He was glad to hear I was taking Vit D, Vit C, Zinc and Elderberry. I drank a ton of water and did deep breathing excercises.

I stayed in the guest room, which is also where my work desk is. Each time I left the room I wore a mask and I kept spraying down door handles etc. I was worried about Beanie getting it.

Picked up Beanie from the bus stop. Made dinner. I ate up in my room, with poor Beanie eating alone downstairs, but I was worried about giving her germs,  No fever, some runny nose, sneezing. Felt energetic and pretty good overall. Slept well that night.

Wed Jan 25: Day 3

Dropped Beanie to school, and decided I was well enough to work. Still had righ side congestion, but no fever and no fatigue,  Did a full day of work and began to get a headache that day that got progressibley worse, but mainly congestion like a head cold.

Picked up Beanie from the bus stop. She gets in the car and says -- I have some bad news. I ask "What"?  She says my nose has been running all day in school.

Ugh. 

Test her and within seconds, it pops the positive. Worst nightmare - me being sick, with Beanie sick. On top of it all my car was in the shop getting fixed after the deer hit, and I had my Mom's car. So, my Mom was car-less. If we needed her, she could not help.

However, we were fine and functional and I prayed we stayed that way. I worked until 6pm and then made us a nice saudage//kale/white bean soup for dinner with lots of onions and garlic and some turmeric and lemon.

I emailed Beanie's teacher that told her Beanie would be home the rest of the week. I also emailed my boss telling him I would be taking the next 2 days off to look after Beanie, but would address any urgent meetings. A big account was launching the following week, and I was needed at work

Beanie had a VERY runny nose the entire evening, and slight fever by night time. My nose was beginning to get runny. My sweet neighbor got us some banamas and OJ since we were running out, otherwise, I had ample food, vegges, fruits, snacks, etc. I was smart to have shopped a ton on Monday.

I also was well stocked on medications for both myself and Beanie. I knew it was a matter of time before we got it, so I had cough syrup, Ricolas, Zicam, vitamins, and Tylenol and Ibuprufen etc.

I was stressed about the car situation. I was hoping to get my car on Friday but with Beanie now sick I could not get it. My sis was going out of town, so it was a mess. My Mom was without a car and now both Beanie and I have COVID. Ugh!!

Thur Jan 26: Day 4

Beanie woke up feeling "great"...her runny nose got lesser over the day and by eveining she was basically fine. What a relief!!

I had a horrible headache that day, but again was able to function, cook meals. Nose was still congested/runny, slight cough, and looking back I think I did lose my sense of smell for  a few days. I was putting Vicks on myself and it felt cold against my nostril but I could not smell it. 

We did a Target drive up/pick up for Kleenex since we were all out with the amount or runny nose poor Beanie had the day earlier.

We both chilled, watched movies etc. I took some long work calls. Cooked dinner again that night - chicken tortilla soup. I felt good, a bit tired....but not too bad.

I called the car shop and told them my predicament. I could not get the car myself, I had no one to get it for me either. They were very nice and offered to drop the car off at my home free of charge!

Fri Jan 27: Day 5

Beanie is perfectly fine - yay. Technically she could have gone to school but it was COIVD so I did not want to push her, or myself.

 I had the day off so rested mostly, but did take some long work calls. Beanie's friend's Mom insisted on brining us some groceries. She got us some nice rotisserie chicken, snacks, flowers for me and  stuuffed toy for Baenie. That was so sweet. We had a yummy lunch and dinner that day. Another friend found out we were sick so got us some Pears.

The car was dropped off around 5pm....what a relief.

Sat Jan 28: Day 6

Okay I expected to be all done by now...so why am I sill having congetion, etc!!  My friend next door's told me it took her a week to get better, So I decided to be gentle on my body. Continued with the Vitsmins and lots of water, and healthy foods.

Sun Jan 28: Day 7

Beanie is perfect. I still have on off runny nose/congestion/ post nasal drip, etc. Annoying!

Mon Jan 30: Day 8

One week since I tested postive.

 Beanie went to school, I am back at work, but still not 100%. 

Some fatugue, still having alternating congestion/runny nose/sinus pressure worse in the morning. I emailed the Dr wondeing how long it would last... he said it take up to a MONTH (!)...

Tue Day 9 - Sat Day 13

Feeling better each day but every time I think the congestion is gone, its back! I begin to do steaming, and it helps a lot. Also took some Mucinex that helped more than the decongesant.

Sun  Feb 5: Day 14

I decided to take a test - and tested Negative. Feeling like I am almost back to 100%. Still have some congestion etc but now it may just be allergies...not sure.

Overall, I was lucky that COVID was like a mild head cold for me. I say mild because although the symptoms lingered for days (2 weeks), in the grand scheme of things they were not a big deal.  We did not have fevers, or chills, or sore thoat, fatigue or coughing. 

Despite the mild symtoms I did take it extra easy and was careful about resting and not pushing myself, since it was COVID after all....and I did not want to chance it.

I have read that new XBB or whatver its called tends to be more like a sinusitis. I also read that the for people who are vaccinated and boosed, the antibodies tend to catch the vurus in the nose and the copious amount of nose secretions, like Beanie had, is how the body flushes the virus out, before it gets to the throat or the lungs. That is probablt how she got over it so quickly. 

Now:

I am now 3 weeks out and fully back to normal. Had 20 hour work days on both Thurs and Fri due to a major technical outage at work. Thankfully it was resolved last night so we can enjoy the weekend.

There is some relief in knowing we had it now, so less stressed about catching it.

I am still not sure how I got it......guess I will never know.

No comments:

Post a Comment