Friday, June 17, 2022

Horses

Beanie loves horses!.  

Last year (2021) I got her into a week long horse-riding camp in summer, which she loved. We wanted to do lessons but there was a wait-list. 

We put down her name and never got called.

Fast forward to Jan 2022. 

I reached out to the owner of the farm asking to put Beanie on the list for the Summer 2022 camp. The lady had mentioned that the camp gets filled quickly and to reach out at the beginning on the year!

No response. 

I finally called her in March and she told me the camp (for which she had not dates yet) is full!  I was annoyed and it was clear that she was badly organized and was not keeping track of who was requesting lessons etc.

So, in March, I was desperately looking for horse camps. Who knew SO MANY KIDS ride horses around here.

Fortunately, I came across another farm about 20 min away. 

I emailed - no response. 

Then I called and was told they had not dates. 

Then I called again and was given dates and that there MAY be a spot.

After weeks of back and forth I secured Beanie a spot and I could finally take a deep breath.

Our entire summer was booked around the critical week of horse camp.

The camp began on Mon 13th and today was the last day.

Beanie LOVED the camp!

She was paired with a sweet horse named Luna. In fact on the first day when the trainer told her the horses' name, Beanie face lit up. She loves that name.

This camp was much better than the one Beanie went to last year. Here they were actually teaching the kids and in five days Beanie can now independently trot on the horse without anyone holding the rope.

On Wed, I met the owner and mentioned lessons. I had texted her the pervious day.  She said there was a wait list and she would put us on it. She had hired a new trainer, Josie, and wanted to give Josie some time to settle into her classes before adding to her workload.

Anyway, today was the last day of camp. Beanie was sad to leave Luna. As we were leaving I told Josie that hopefully we will get on the list for lessons. 

Josie was very happy with Beanie's progress. In fact on Day 2, she was teaching Beanie how to "post trot". I took a video and when we came home we watched the video and then watched YouTube. Beanie understood what she was doing wrong and practiced sitting on a stool. The next day, she did a great job - I think that impressed Josie.

Because this afternoon, about an hour after we got home, I get a text from Josie asking if  Beanie in available for lessons every Friday starting next week. 

And, drum roll...Beanie can ride Luna!

Woohoo!!!

We are SO EXCITED!  

Its a 30 min lesson at 11am on Fridays with one other girl from camp, so its a "semi-private" lesson. We need to be there at 10:30am so Beanie has time to get Luna from the pasture and get her saddled up. Yes, the kid can do all that !  They, of course, supervise and check.

I am so relieved that we are now "in" and have our foot in the door. It will make it easier to sign up for summer camp, request date/time for lessons. It taken us a full year to get her signed up at any riding school.   In fact I have a call with my boss every Fri at 11:30am so I will need to take that from the riding school but given how difficult it is to get lessons anywhere I was not going to turn down the offer.

This weekend we will get Beanie her stable boots, breeches, hat etc.

Horse riding is an expensive sport!  For now we will do weekly lessons and reassess when school begins.

I loved horses growling up too. When I was in 7th grade I begged my parents to get me riding lessons and I did them for 2 months. I loved it!!

So glad that Beanie can have that experience too.  







No comments:

Post a Comment