Sunday, July 31, 2022

Almost Back to School

 School begins on Thursday.

This was the last weekend of summer vacation. 

I am SO ready for school to begin. 

Its been crazy busy summer trying to work and ferry Beanie to/from her various camps. The problem is that she no longer goes to all day camp as she did pre-COVID. As a result, she had a series of half-day camps which were 8-2pm, or 12:30 to 4pm or 1:30 to 5pm.

I usually have calls from 12-2pm so the drop-off was a big struggle with me either missing calls or taking them on the road. I am looking forward to be productive at work again.

Overall, Beanie had a really fun summer with the camps and the horse riding lessons which will be weekly now on Friday evenings, which works for me.

My Mom took a fall down the stairs on her birthday in early July. Thankfully she only broke a small toe and later we found out had a stress fracture on her ankle. Other than some bad bruises on her side/back she was fine...and we are so thankful it was nothing more. She stayed with me for 4 days and then went back to her place which is 5 minutes from our house. She is recovering well, but has to wear the "boot" for another 2 weeks.

Both Beanie and I got our COVID boosters. Her first booster and my 4th booster (!). I was hoping to wait for the Omicron specific booster but the one with the B4/B5 variant protection seems months away, so I figured since I had no shot this year I should get one. Everyone we know is getting COVID and with school starting and nobody masking its all we can do to protect ourselves.  Beanie did fine with the booster other than a sore arm. I had body aches and fatigue the second day.  Of course now they say on the news that the Omicron booster will come out mid-Sept ---oh well.  Its still the old Omicron (Dec/Jan variant) not B4/5...so who knows.....

Beanie got her teacher assignment. Luckily, all the three girls got different teachers. It was the best outcome and hopefully no drama like last year. One of the girls will ride the bus with Beanie, so they will get 1:1 time everyday. If all three want to play together at recess they can, but I am also encouraging Beanie to make new friends. Coincidentally, Beanie is in the same class as the boy next doors who is her friend so she is excited about that.

We have Meet the Teacher on Tue, so we shall see who else in in her class. 

Interesting story...back in 2021 when my Mom went to get her 1st and 2nd COVID shot at the pharmacy, she met a lady around my Mom's age. They got talking and became COVID buddies and exchanged phone numbers. Turns out Beanie's new teacher is that lady's daughter in law!  The lady had mentioned to my Mom, that her DIL taught 4th grade but I had forgotten until I saw Beanie's teacher's name. My Mom called the lady and she was thrilled with the coincidence. My Mom and this lady have a lot in common so they plan to meet up for coffee after my Mom's foot heals. My Mom will come for Meet the Teacher event.

No comments:

Post a Comment