Thursday, November 25, 2021

Thanksgiving

Well, we are thankful Beanie does not have COVID. 

We are back to sickness again! 

Started with a small cough on Saturday.  We were at my sister's lake house with family for the weekend. The day started well, but by Sat night Beanie was tired and hot. The room we were in was very warm, so she cooled down after changing into cooler nightwear. 

Next day an occasional cough. Monday a bit more coughing. By the time we left at noon on Monday, I could see something was coming on. 

After that her cough got progressively worse as the hours wore on despite the inhaler treatments we were doing. The next day (Tue) I decided to take her to the pediatrician given the upcoming holiday weekend. The PA heard Beanie's lungs and said it was clear and it was just an upper respiratory virus. But to continue with the inhalers to keep her asthma at bay.

Beanie had some good hours on Wed. She was well enough to play outside, and the cool air gave her some respite from coughing. But then last evening it was back to coughing every 2-3 minutes and then the stuffy/runny nose started. 

Poor thing!!

Today I decided to take her in to Urgent Care. I could not bear to have her coughing so much - nothing we did was helping. They tested her for COVID which was negative and prescribed a short does of oral steroids to calm her cough which was getting worse. We were able to get the script at 1:30pm and had enough time to drive to the only pharmacy that was open, just in time to get it filled. We got lucky there!

She is coughing a bit less now after the prednisone she took at 2:30pm. Normally in our experience, steroid stops asthma cough very quickly in an hour or so. The fact it has not stopped the cough it may be more URI and less asthma-related, but ANY improvement is welcome at this time. I hope she  can get a full night's rest. 

We were to have TG dinner at my sister's tomorrow (Fri) but have cancelled, We don't want to pass germs to anyone.

I normally take TG week off from work and  there were some fun activities we were wanting to do in our town which we will skip. Instead we will stay home and watch movies and rest. I need her well enough to attend school on Monday. 

After her round of sickness in Oct, I started her on extra Vitamin C in addition to the Elderberry which she has been taking since Aug but seems to have not helped at all :-(.   I will look into other "immunity boosting" things.

She is scheduled for her COVID shot on Wed. Hopefully she is recovered by then.

2 comments:

  1. Awww, I’m sorry, that sucks Beanie got sick again right before Thanksgiving. 😞 sending care and healing thoughts. Glad it’s not Covid, of course. Watching movies and reading sounds lovely to me, but I imagine she’d rather get out and do some things. R says that zinc is good immune support, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, she is doing much better today. I was thinking of Zinc too. There is some in her Elderberry gummy and in the Vit C, but it maybe not enough. Zicam helps me a lot if I feel a cold coming on. I will look into it. Hope you had a good TG!

      Delete