Today Beanie started 3rd grade!
It was het first time going back to "brick and mortar" school since Mar 17, 2020 when the lockdown occurred. She was a virtual student in 2nd grade - out of our choice. The school was open but I opted to keep her home.
She was super excited to be back at school, so was I to some extent. I am still nervous about COIVD. The school is not mandating masks - only" strongly encouraging" them - as a result 70% of kids and teachers are not masked!
This in a state with low vaccine levels - not sure what they are thinking. Agreed that our county has a low rate of transmission,, but I wish they would have all elementary kids mask up and be able to do regular school with less chance of disruptions.
Anyway, Beanie is masked up as are most people we know, but in her class of 19 students only about 6 were masked.
I am crossing my fingers it goes well.
Overall it seems only 135 Elementary school kids opted for virtual school this year, a miniscule amount compared to last year, so I am reassuring myself that it was the right thing to do.
We will get an option in 9 weeks to change (I hope) at which time I will reassess the situation.
Beanie had a great day. Her best friend is in her class as well so that makes it more fun. The teacher seems very sweet. I decided to not have Beanie do ASP (After School Program) since it meant co-mingling of kids and longer time in a mask.
I am having her ride the school bus back. My company is based in CA, so afternoon times for me is peak busy time. The bus allows me to nip up the road and get her home without spending the time doing a pick up when school it lets out.
Beanie was nervous riding the bus back but I assured her she would do great and the teachers will ensure she gets on the correct bus. She knew the Bus # but said she was still nervous until she saw the bus turn into our street. I was so proud of her and told her that now that she has done it one time, it will be easier and by next week she will be a pro at it.
I am glad to see her back in school. Hope we have a healthy school year!
Congrats on successfully navigating the start of 3rd grade to both you and Beanie! It’s a crazy time but I’m glad she’s enjoying school and time with friends.
ReplyDelete