Wednesday, January 20, 2021

A New Day!

 What a day! 

Beanie and I have been glued to the TV all day watching the inauguration. I feel like a HUGE weight/black cloud has been lifted, and the smoke is clearing.  How appropriate that Bon Jovi sang - Here comes the Sun!!

I did not realize how profoundly the last 4 (terrible) years affected me, until today. The daily drama, stress, tweets (thank God those were stopped last week)!  It was like carrying a huge weight. It has been exhausting!  Especially the last 2 months with the court challenges and untruths culminating in the horror of Jan 6th.

As I write this today, I feel hopeful.

Civility and kindness is back in the White House. Whatever ones politics, I think we can all agree that we need to be kind and have empathy.

I was never very politically aware as a child, but I have made it a point to keep Beanie aware of the politics, what is important to us as a  family - racial equality, environment, women's rights, education -  and how elections have consequences. 

We watched the election results together in Nov and the next 3 days glued to the TC. Beanie made a cute poster for Biden. She was aware of the importance of the GA elections in Jan. I showed her my absentee ballots and she watched me fill them in. We talked about the three branches of government and how they work. She is very smart and curious and asks a lot of questions. I think that when she begins to learn this in school she will already have experienced it in real life and it will be so much easier.

 She had the opportunity today to watch President Biden and VP Kamala Harris get sworn in. She was so happy and excited to learn that VP Harris is the first woman VP in our county.  She was also a bit jealous that Biden gets to live in the huge White House with butlers, cooks, AND a fountain  in the lawn ..lol!

We just finished watching the celebration. The fireworks were amazing. We were dancing and have a great time. My phone was filled with text messages from friends and family in different countries who are also so happy today.

Together we exhale!


2 comments: