Wednesday, February 26, 2020

Introducing..

Our newest family member, Coral.



Isn't she adorable? She is an American shorthair calico cat.

We adopted her from a rescue at Petco, about 8 week ago. She is 11 months, and turns one year old on Mar 13.

We are absolutely in love with her.

Beanie has been wanting a  pet for a couple of years. Initially, we wanted a small dog, but found out that she is allergic. Then we started to think about a cat.

A couple of months ago we went to Peco when they do the cat/dog adoptions. Seeing Beanie around the cats totally melted my heart. She saw Coral and came home talking about her and really begging for a cat, so I agreed. I spent the week researching litter boxes, where people keep them, type of litter that is environmentally friendly, etc.

We decided to go back the following weeknd and see Coral. I had not really seen or interacted with her. As soon as I saw her, I thought she was so beautiful, and had a very sweet nature. I told the rescue people that we will get her the following weekend so I have time to prepare. But they sort of twisted my arm and convinced me to take her right then and there. I had no preparation done at home, no supplies, etc. We went running around Petco getting the basics, and before we knew it we were cat owners.

We came home and I emptied out my master bath so she could be in  a contained space to get her acclimatized. As soon as we took her out of the carrier she was all over us, purring loudly. Now I realize that loud purring is a self soothing mechanism cats have. But she was very sweet and was brave enough to come in to the bedroom. I kept her in the bathroom that night with food, water litter box, etc. Next day she went around the house.

Honestly, the first couple of weeks were tough. I had immense buyers remorse. Our entire schedule was off , I was very sleep deprived since the cat kept waking me at night, I felt I was cleaning litter box all day. Then I realized that getting a pet is like adding a new person to your home and we did not have a routine. The cat would sleep with us but then wake me at night and make a racket in the bathroom if I put her there. I really regretted my decision, but Beanie was so happy with the cat.

Now several weeks later things have settled down. We have a routine down. I am being able to sleep at night.  She sleeps with us the first part of the night. Then at some point she will wake me. It could be 12:30 am or 3am or 5am, it varies. When she wakes me I  put her outside the bedroom where she has her tiki hut that she sleeps in. There is a second litter box downstairs that she can use at night. and I have a small bowl of food and water in the landing in case she wants to eat at night. Her main food bowls are near the pantry. She is very good about not meowing or scratching the closed door.

She had some tummy issues the first couple of weeks. We did a stool test which was normal. The vet had me switch to some expensive prescription dry food which has helped a lot. She is doing well now.

She is really cute and now I think it was a really good decision. She makes us laugh and is so sweet and very very playful and quite naughty at times, too. But we are thrilled to have her and love her to bits!!

Cat TV - I put bird seed out and she loves watching the birds and squirrels





2 comments:

  1. Yay, how fun! It is definitely a big adjustment getting a pet. Glad things have settled down.

    ReplyDelete