Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Big Girl Bed!

Beanie has moved out ....of my bed!!!  


She got a big girl bed this weekend and she has been sleeping in it for 2 nights now!



We have been co-sleeping for years. I never planned it. In fact I had read about other SMCs who struggled with getting the kids out of the beds and I promised myself that I would not do it myself.  Famous last words!  

When Beanie was a new born and until about 3 mos she slept in a bassinet next to my bed. Then at 3 mos, I put her in the crib, which I moved to my room. She was always a poor sleeper so I figured it would save me walking down the hallway at all hours of the night.  She was doing pretty well in the crib, but at about 6mos old she got RSV from daycare.  I was worried sick and would bring her to bed so I could monitor her breathing. She (and I) was sick on/off the entire winter in 2013, so she stayed with me and soon it just became a habit.  When i did try to move her to the crib she would not stay in it beyond a few hours.

So time went by and it became the norm. Oddly enough, it did not bother me much. However, she is much bigger now and moves around a lot at night.  She likes to sleep sideways so her feet are near my tummy, which makes me nervous, an does not make for a restful sleep. Also, I have to huff and puff and move her at night to sleep the right way, so not great sleep for her either. 

Last year we got rid of the binky, and bottle and got her potty trained, so I decided to keep the bed move for this year.  We started talking about it some months ago, and she said she wanted her own bed but to stay in my room. 

Okay - fair compromise!  

My room is huge and it seems like a good first step. 

I bought her a cute twin bed in white and I borrowed a mattress from my parents (I will buy her a new mattress once I know this works!).   We went to Tar.get the week before and she bought sheets, a blanket, a comforter set for winter, a lamp and some fun pillows.  On Saturday, I put the bed together, washed everything, and she was able to sleep on it on Sunday night. 

Since her bed is next to mine I can reach out and she can hold my hand while she falls asleep. Usually she would fall asleep on my shoulder. There is a 2 inch gap between the beds (due to the "lip" of each bed), so I have a body pillow there to fill that gap. 

On the other side of her bed, is my bedside table which she is now using. She has put all her "stuff" there. Water, tissues, some small toys, etc - so cute!  I have her crib mattress on the floor and lots of pillows to break her fall should she roll off the bed.

I have a bed rail that I purchased, but the problem is those need to be used with a mattress and box spring. Her bed is a platform bed...so I am struggling with what to do here.  I think I will buy a low profile platform (4 inches) so it will allow me to use the side rail (and get rid of the million pillows) and also raise her bed to the height of mine. Right now she is about 5 inches lower. I also plan to buy her a small white side table.

As you can see, we are not all done yet, but its been so cool having her sleep on her own. 

She is getting better sleep since I don't have to keep moving her at night. My sleep is better. The first night I could not sleep since I kept worrying she would fall even though the bed is not high and I have all the pillows etc there. Last night I slept better. Also when I wake up I don't disturb her.

All in all its been great. She has slept 2 nights there and I am hoping that continues.

In a few months, we will move the bed to the wall adding some space between our beds, and then eventually to her own room, but for now this is a big milestone!

No comments:

Post a Comment