Tuesday, May 30, 2017

A second pair of hands

Being an SMC, I am so used to doing everything myself that I forget how nice it is to have another person (grown up) in the house.

Beanie came home sick with a fever after a play date last night. We had gone over for dinner around 5:30pm. She started to complain of a headache just as we were leaving her friend's house at 8pm. It had been a very busy week for us -- swim (Tue), two after school play dates in succession (Wed/Thurs), evening with my parents (Fri), a dinner at my sis's (Sun) and then a play date with her friend yesterday. And of course, my kid hates to sleep, so I figured she was just tired. But I could feel she was warm as I put her in the car.

Sure enough when I took her temp it was close to 101 degrees. I gave her some Ibuprofen and she dozed off at 9pm only to wake at 9:30pm feeling better and then stayed up until 10:30pm (!) by which time I could barely keep my eyes open. I have been very tired this entire weekend.

Her fever seemed better during the night, but then at 5:30am it spiked to 101.7 so she got some Tylenol. I took the day off from work today, which was nice since it takes the pressure off having to work, and have a sick kid at home who needs attention. I made an appt with the pediatrician for 2:30pm, since at one point she mentioned it hurt when she went to the bathroom, so I wanted to make sure it was not a  UTI.

Around 12pm my Dad came over so I could go to to the grocery store to get some jello, bananas and Popsicle.  I was really hungry since I ate dinner very early the night before and had a very small breakfast, so I grabbed one of those Boost drinks and swigged down half the bottle before getting in the car.

I felt a bit nauseous while I was at the store and after coming back I felt very woozy and ended up throwing up. My poor Dad was not sure what to do given he was going to get lunch for my Mom. Anyway he left and I lay on the couch for a bit and asked Beanie get me a banana.  I did not want to be waking around all woozy,  The banana helped a lot, so by the time my Dad was back with a sandwich I was better. The sandwich helped too, I think my stomach was very empty and the quick drink did not help and caused the nausea.

My Dad very kindly came with us to the Dr, though I was fine enough to drive by then. Beanie does not have strep, and they sent in a culture. Most likely it is a viral. She sometimes gets a 1-2 day fever, but I am glad I went in.

Tonight my Mom is sleeping at our place, which brings me to the title of the post. It is SO NICE having another adult in the house. For example, I could leave the kitchen in a mess after dinner and get Beanie ready for bed. My Mom read her books, while I went downstairs to clean up, eat some fruit and watch TV.

What luxury!

I bet most 2-parent households don't think twice about such things, but I just realized how having a second pair of hands makes life it so much easier!

Right now my Mom is asleep in the guest bedroom with Beanie (who is convinced I have some "throw up bug" which she does not want to get - lol).

So I get to sleep in my bed - ALONE!  

Beanie is doing better. She has not had fever since about noon and her last dose of medicine. I am hoping it was just a viral...she will stay home tomorrow though.



2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you're both starting to feel better! And it's nice to get that little break every once in a while, as much as you love your child. :)

    My husband works evenings, so I don't really get much benefit from the two-parent household thing. But I'm lucky that my mom lives with us and can help out a bit, despite her health problems. Even just having someone there with them while they nap/sleep so I can run to the store is huge!

    ReplyDelete