We have been busy this month with a major kitchen renovation!
I bought my house 9 years ago (it was about 9 year old at the time) and while I liked the kitchen layout and white cabinets, I hated the stark white counter-tops and detested the ceramic sink. It stained all the time and was a pain to keep clean as were the counter-tops. I had always wanted to redo the kitchen, but got busy trying to get pregnant and then busy with Beanie.
This year I decided to bite the bullet and get it done!.
It was very stressful for me to decide on counter-tops, cabinet door styles since I am terrible at making commitments (lol!) and I am still undecided about the back splash. I got a couple of quotes and decided to go with a local company, not a big box store. The price was reasonable leaving me budget to swap out my appliances, in the future.
Getting the place cleaned out was crazy, but I decided to use the opportunity to tidy up cupboards and drawers that had piles of clutter like about 1000 chopsticks and take out menus and other items I don't use! I put everything in boxes in the garage and the stuff I needed, close at hand in boxes inside.
The counter guys came the last week in Aug and took about 4 hrs to get the work done. I decided to go with quartz since its more durable and stain resistant. I do not have the time or energy to mess with granite and I find it quite busy. I choose a nice neutral quartz which I LOVE and am thrilled with my under-mount sink and stainless steel faucet. Yes. its crazy how the sink makes me so happy!
Next day the plumber came to install the faucet and I decided to put in a new disposal as well. The old one had leaked and my Dad had patched it up but it was getting to EOL.
The following week (Sept 6) the cabinet guys came. I got the cabinets refaced since they were peeling and the hinges were broken. The frames were fine and the layout is good so no changes were needed. I stayed with white cabinets since I like a clean, modern look. The guys did a good job. They took 2 days and cleaned up after themselves on Day 1 so the kitchen was usable, even though we did eat out both days.
Unfortunately they measured two drawers and cabinets incorrectly, so I have some open cupboards and they will come back next week to finish the job - sigh!
I think I have decided on a back splash tile. I am not rushing that decision. I like being able to see the counter top and cabinets in different lighting before committing. I hope to have it done in a few weeks.
I am also taking my time refilling the cabinets so I can purge old items and things I have never used. This is a great opportunity to do some serious de-cluttering.
Here are some before and after pics...keep in mind the back splash is unfinished. The white appliances are old so I will swap them out to stainless steel appliances as they start failing.
BEFORE: Ugly sink, peeling white faucet and counter top, builder grade cabinets.
DURING:
AFTER: New quartz counter tops and under-mount stainless steel sink and chrome faucet. Nice cabinets with new hardware. I kept the while since I like a clean contemporary look.





It looks great!! I think I have that same countertop and I LOVE it! Elsie spilled dye on it and I thought it was a gonner at less than 1 year old. Nope, cleaned right off.
ReplyDeleteEnjoy the new kitchen!