Friday, April 15, 2016

Turned Around

Another big milestone...and another step away from babyhood.

Beanie's car seat was changed to forward facing last weekend!!!

So exciting!

She has been sitting rear facing in a convertible car seat but was getting close to both the weight (40lbs) and height limits. At 37 lbs she could sit in it a while longer but her head was getting close to the top and her legs were not very comfortable.

I had initially wanted to move her forward facing at 1 year and/or 20 lbs, but I posted my plan on the blog here and got many suggestions to research it further which I am so happy I did. I also took her for a seat belt check to the fire station (we do that every 6 months) and the guy said rear facing was safest.

When we moved her to the convertible I again went back - this time to the police station - and they too reiterated to keep her rear facing. When we had our car rear-ended (and totalled) in Jan 2015 - I was so thankful that she was rear facing, it could have been really bad otherwise.

Last summer her teachers in school started giving me a hard time about her being rear facing since none of her peers were. In fact in a matter of 5 days almost every teacher asked me about it. I told them I had taken her to be checked at the police station during spring break and they said to keep her rear facing.

Then in Jan I took her back thinking she may be ready but they again said to keep her that way until past her 3rd birthday.

I am so glad that we are able to access the fire/police folks who are certified in car seat safety to give their advise and check the car seat.

Last Friday I met the same cop I had met a year ago. He has a daughter a bit younger than Beanie who is still rear facing, but looking at Beanie he said it was fine to turn her around.He tightened the seat for me and checked it out with her sitting in it.


She is so excited to be sitting like her friends and the fact that she can see so much more from the window. I can also see her sweet face in the rear view mirror so that makes me feel better as well. I hated that I could not see her before. My car seats are not the type to use the kiddie mirrors that they sell.

So anyway, big milestone reached!! 
  

2 comments:

  1. I've been debating on whether or not to turn the car seat on E's second birthday. She is now 34.5 inches tall and 28 lbs. I think we still have a ways to go before I absolutely have to turn the car seat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on this milestone! I can imagine it's hard to not see her face when it's turned towards the back. Nice to look in the rear view mirror and check on her. As the cliche goes, "she's growing up too fast!" or this great one, "She's growing like a weed!" :-) Your road trip was a great milestone, too...

    ReplyDelete