I have taken a mental health day today - just playing hookey for most of the day other than a few short calls this afternoon,
One reason is I have a cold and did not sleep well last night, but the bigger reason is that ...
I.am.pissed!!!
I work for a small company which has always been struggling financially. If you recall last year, just when I was going on maternity leave there was a huge scare of layoffs. Luckily I was not laid off and earlier this year even got a promotion and small raise which was good.
Yesterday we were informed by our HR folks that the company was switching insurance AND that they had changed the company PTO (paid time off) policy so that only 40 hrs will transfer to 2015.
WTF!!!
I have 192 hrs in unpaid vacation - so basically I have lost a month or more of paid leave.
Just like that!
I am so angry especially since I took a month unpaid when Beanie was born since I wanted to save some vacation. Also the normal rule is that when you leave a company they have to pay you the unpaid PTO hrs, so that was my back up in case I got laid off.
There is nothing I can do. There is one other person in the same situation as me. What is even more unfair is that they are telling us this with only 3 working days left in the year. Our company shuts down for the holidays!
So even if I wanted to take time off I cannot!
Its unfar that we are being penalized for putting work ahead of vacation. In fact I had wanted to take the following Mon/Tue off since Beanie's school is closed, but I had a customer wanting training and I agreed since I know they were on a time crunch.
I made my displeasure known to my boss, who was very understanding.He told me that next year I can take time off when ever I like without officially doing a PTO request which I thought was nice of him.
So today I am not working.
Beanie is in school. After I finish this post I am going to watch a movie on ne.tflix and them go out to lunch by myself!
There is a ton of office and house work to do....but I am not doing any of it.
It can wait!
That totally sucks! I am so sorry - you basically lost a lot of money and that seems like stealing and very underhanded. :( That does sound nice of your boss - so he's saying you can take time off that would still be paid, yes?
ReplyDeleteI do hope you enjoy your day off today - you earned it!
That's horrible and seems very unfair, especially to switch at the last minute. At least your boss seems to be understanding about it. I hope you had a good day off and were able to relax a little.
ReplyDeleteHave you checked your state laws? Pretty sure this is illegal in california.
ReplyDeleteYou are right, it is illegal in CA. They alluded to that when saying that it was dependent on state laws. I need to check my state but am pretty sure its not like CA :-(
DeleteThat's awf & so unfair. I'm holdings it's illegal in your state & they can't follow through with it. Hope you enjoyed yours time off tho!
ReplyDeleteWow that sucks!
ReplyDelete