Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Vacation, viruses, recalls and more

Yup the title says it all I suppose.

I took this week off from work since Beanie's school was closed and thought it would be a great time to hang out and do some fun things building up to Thanksgiving on Thursday.

Well, the one thing I am learning with a child is that plans don't always materialize as imagined.

Last Thursday Beanie gets the sniffles. Friday she is full on cold (watery eyes, dripping nose) so I kept her from school. Then Sat she appeared a bit improved, until she woke from her nap with a 101.5 fever.

Ugh!

I did not panic (yay me!) since she tends to get fever with a bad cold sometimes. Usually goes away in about 12-18 hours. Well, it did not go away. Instead it kept spiking when the medication wore off, and the next day (Sunday) she woke from her nap this time with a fever of 103.5.

Cue panic!

She has never had such high fever.

At first I wanted to take her to Urgent Care but decided to place a call to the nurse line at Children's Hospital. The nurse went through a long list of questions and we decided that I could wait until Monday to take her in to her pediatrician since the 103.5 was a bit high for a cold. I added Advil to the mix since I was running close to the max daily dosage for Tylenol. Beanie was clingy when the fever was high but the moment the medication kicked in she was her normal playful happy self. Her cold was getting better so the high fevers were a surprise.

Yesterday I took her into the clinic in the afternoon. Beanie was awesome with the doctor.  I have bought Beanie a medical playset so we play a lot with the it - looking in her ear and with the stethoscope etc-  to ally her fear of doctor visits. We role played a lot on the morning yesterday and I even told her how to do "aah" to open her mouth. She still freaked out at being weighed when we checked in, but was really calm with the pediatrician. She even lifted her own shirt when Dr B needed to hear her chest.  So VERY proud of her!!!

The ped said its most likely a virus and to give it another 2 days. Her ears, throat and chest were clear and she tested negative for RSV. Flu and Strep which was good news. The problem is as she pointed out that it will bring us to Thanksgiving when the clinic is closed. She suggested I bring Beanie in tomorrow (Wed) for a  recheck if she continues to have fever.

Today Beanie still had about 101 at noon, but has not had anything since so I am really hoping we have turned a corner. I am noticing that the duration between the fever spiking is getting longer so that seems an improvement.  If Thursday was not a holiday I would have liked to wait another day, but I really don't want to be stressed on TG if she is get a fever late tomorrow, so off to the ped we ago again.

Definitely not the way I wanted to spend my time off with her, plus I feel so bad that she is under the weather for so many days :-(


Today I took my car into the dealership to get the driver airbag replaced. My vehicle is part of a huge airbag recall I heard about on CNN. I went to the manufacturer's website and entered in the VIN and sure enough it was part of the recall. I did not see any point in delaying so scheduled it immediately. Glad its taken care of now.

Had my yearly GYN check up last week. She was happy to see me. She is not my OB but my GYN whom I had started seeing 5 years ago when I was having difficulty getting pregnant.

I am due to get my eyes checked next week, but have procrastinated since July. I am now wondering if I should just miss 2014 and make an appt in Jan for 2015. Knowing me I will not be able to get my act together to order new glasses with the holidays coming.

Plan to do my X'Mas decorations later this week. I will involve Beanie in it because if I do it while she is away at school  she will get all upset to see the house looking different! I do know that it will make it logistically easier doing it without her trying to "help" - lol!




4 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about Beanie catching a virus and hope she is getting better.

    I think you will have fun setting up Christmas decorations with Beanie even if I may take a little (read "a lot") more time ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hoping she feels better soon. Yeah I still need to decide if I want to decorate or not this year since we'll be with family for Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope she is recovered and you can enjoy the rest of the week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. High fevers are always so scary! Hope she's doing better

    ReplyDelete