Sunday, November 9, 2014

First Parent Teacher Conference

On Thursday I had my first parent teacher conference at Beanie's Montessori school. At the earlier daycare they did reports cards twice a year, but no face to face.

I was really excited since at this school I really don't get much information on what Beanie does all day, so I was interested in knowing what "work" she likes to do and also get the teacher's perceptive on how she is doing and interacting.


The appt. was at 9am , but they moved it up to 8:30am. I woke early so I could dress well and put on makeup for a change.The meeting went very well. They are very happy with Beanie - describing her as sweet, loving and well behaved. They did say (as I well know) that she is cautious and likes to first observe the situation before she feels ready to mingle or get involved. I see that all the time, for example if we go to store she will first want me to carry her and then after about 10-15 minutes she will be walking around like she owns the place!

They said that she likes building blocks, working with playdough, painting and playing with the doll (bathing/dressing it etc). She loves books and enjoys the music and Spanish classes. They said her language skills were great and commented on how easy it is to communicate with her since she responds Ya and No. Overall it was a good meeting.

They did suggest that I allow Beanie to eat the school snacks, I normally send her snacks and lunch. It seems she is showing interest in it and trying to pick things of other kids plates :-(  I give Beanie a predominantly organic diet which is why I have been reluctant to have her eat non-organic fruits and veggies, but I also do not want her to feel deprived and different.  I agreed that the afternoon snack which the kids eat out in the playground together, she can have, if she chooses to. I will still send her my snack.

Also on Friday's kids have pizza. I did not want Beanie having it initially, but again she is showing interest. I had though that after TG I will let her have it since a warm pizza lunch will be nice in winter. Anyway, I let her have it last Friday and her teachers gleefully told me "she loved it" - um, ya, who does not like pizza :-)

They do offer fruits/veggies with it. I saw a few items in Beanie's lunchbox. Those school pieces were really big, so I have emailed her teacher to either cut them up small or not offer to her. I send my own fruit/veggies on Friday to accompany the pizza.

Sometimes I wonder if her teachers think I am a pain in the a** mom, but you know, I really don't care. Its my job to look out for Beanie!


2 comments:

  1. You have all the right in the world to be concerned about what goes into your child's stomach!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a good meeting. I wish our preschool did more of them

    ReplyDelete