Saturday, March 29, 2014

Small Steps and Big Changes

Thank you for the birthday wishes for Beanie! We appreciate you all so much.

Today she took about 4-6 steps in succession on two separate occasions - yay!  Small, tentative steps, but steps nonetheless.  So I am officially calling it the day she started to walk :-) I cannot wait to see how she progresses in the coming days.

In terms of changes, well big ones have occurred!

I have finally moved my office out of Beanie's room. I think by a year a toddler needs her own space, don't you agree?   Beanie's crib and changing table are still in my bedroom since she sleeps there, but her room was half play area and half my desk/filing cabinet. I had some papers/files on the floor and it was getting difficult to keep her from touching then, or the chair, or printer!  It was just not fair to keep saying no when they right there in her line of sight and her space.

 So I moved out!!

It was actually not that bad in terms of work. Day 1, my Mom and I moved the bed and side table in the guest bedroom over to the side to make room for my desk. Day 2 we moved a shelf unit to the other side of the window and the same day (Friday) we moved the desk and filing cabinet --- and that was it!

Its weird that the guest bedroom looked pretty full earlier with just a Queen bed and a shelf, but now even with my desk and chair plus my filing cabinet it looks fine. I am always surprised with how much furniture one can actually fit in a room.  Ideally I would like to have my office in my bedroom but the more I think about it the guest room makes sense since I can shut the door and keep Beanie out. If its in my room she will want to go there and touch things.

So now she has her own room, which at this time is more of a play area (no crib). I bought her a cute circus tent from IK.EA and we have set it up in a corner.  I have cushions and toys in there. She loves to scurry in and sit inside. I have been in there too...its quite magical!

In other changes, Beanie will be starting to go to daycare full time the second week in April!  Currently she goes 3 days a week.

She is ready. I am ready too!

Its exhausting for my Mom to keep her occupied all day long the two days she looks after her full-time since our nanny left. Plus I am not very productive those days either. On daycare days, its is a bit hectic getting out of the house in the mornings and I pick her up at 3pm which is in the middle of my work day so get a bit crazy if I have calls etc, so in that sense I will miss the days she is home since its more relaxed schedule -wise, but I think she will enjoy going there more.

I really do respect SAHMs. However much I love Beanie, I cannot imagine having to entertain a toddler all day long!  We enjoy our afternoons, evenings and weekends together, like today when we played a ton and had a good time.

In other changes, I have moved Beanie's high chair from the kitchen area to the dining room (as shown in the picture from the last post). She was getting way too distracted in the kitchen and spent most of the meal time pointing and saying "there...there" to things rather than eating and then getting upset when (a) I had not idea what she was pointing at (b) she most probably could not have the object anyway.  There is less distraction in the dining room, so she eats better.

We have her one year check up on Monday. I have to make my list of questions for her Dr.  mainly around feeding, sleeping etc.  I am dreading the visit since it involves a blood draw apparently. Beanie hates going there since we have to strip her to her diapers and she knows that means shots :-(


6 comments:

  1. It does sound like there are lots of cool changes ahead. I'd love if you'd post a pictures of her magical tent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for Beanie's first steps!!! I work from home as well and I'm easily distracted, I can only imagine how hard it would be with a little curious one wandering around and touching things. I also set up my office in what should have been the guest room and love it there. Originally I was going to set it up in my bedroom also but like you say, I love the option of just shutting the door at the end of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree she should have a space of her own. I always appreciate the respect you show for Beanie in your parenting. I believe you are setting the foundation of a mutual loving relationship with her.

    Good call on not putting your office in your bedroom. One of the common things I've read in my sleep hygiene research is to use your bedroom for sleeping only. If it was also you're office you'd be thinking about work when you try to sleep and your sleep would most likely suffer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I read that too about having an office in the bedroom, too. I don't even have a TV in my bedroom for the same reason.

      Delete
  4. Yeah for 1st steps!! WTG Beanie!

    Elena got one of those tents too, a castle, & loves it!! Proof the do need their space. It makes me laugh at what I find in there!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good idea about the moving of the high chair to the dining room. I'll have to remember to do the same. I dread even thinking about blood draws and shots on my little girl after she is born. I know I'll be crying more than her.

    ReplyDelete