Thursday, September 5, 2013

It went well

First day of daycare is done -yay!

It went very well.

We were a bit delayed leaving the house, around 10:30 instead of 10am, since I wanted Beanie to nap before she got there, rather than have strangers putting her to nap.

They were happy to see us, and I introduced my parents to the teachers since they will likely be picking her up at times.

I held on to her as we walked around the classroom. Her eyes were wide open as she saw all these  toys and kids scurrying around.

We immediately attracted a crowd and before I knew it I had 2-3 crawelers at my feet, very curious to see the new kid. So adorable.

They set up her drawer with her wipes and diapers and put her backpack in her cubby with a change of clothes. Bottles went in the fridge. I am only sending formula for the one feed she has there. I will keep the pumped breast milk for home meals and nurse her as normal at nights, for breakfast and the early evening feed.

I then put her down on the playmat and played with her for a few minutes so she felt a bit comfortable. Then I handed her to the young assistant teacher.

Beanie happily sat on her lap and started playing with toys, and was engrossed in minutes.

Another little girl seemed to be drawn to Beanie and came over to "play".  I took a video of her playing and when I came home I saw that each toy Beanie picked up this little girl (crawling age) grabbed and took away. Poor Beanie has such a perplexed innocent look and kept reaching out for it - the teacher sweetly gave her another toy and this kid grabbed it again with Beanie left with her arms reaching out again. Poor baby!

As she was engrossed I stepped away and chatted with the teacher who was talking with my Mom. Then I went back patted Beanie on her head and said I will be back soon. She was too busy playing to even look up.

We had decided to sit there for an hour, but seeing how comfortable she was we left.

I was actually feeling pretty good and did not cry, until I came home and the house felt so empty without her.

Then I did have a small cry......but I handled it a lot better than I anticipated.

I think its because I know she is ready to be doing this and I could see how interested she was in the other kids and vice versa.

I came home and worked, ate lunch and actually chewed my food for a  change and went back at 1:45pm. The moment I entered the receptionist told me that Beanie did really well!

When I entered the room she was busy playing in a bouncy seat, with the same little girl right next to her. She is obviously very fascinated with Beanie. There is one other girl about 3 weeks younger than Beanie and several others who are crawlers and a few unsteady walkers. The youngest they have is a 9 week old who comes part time.

When I went to Beanie she was busy playing and when I said Hi she gave me this big smile. She had apparently spit up and they had changed her clothes.

She was happy to see me but I could see that she was quite content and would have been okay there longer. She did take her feed and a nap ( I was surprised about the nap). They said she cried a bit but not a lot.

When we came home my Mom was already at my place.  The moment I entered, after I took Beanie out of her carseat and hugged her, I got her in the bathroom and into the tub for a bath to get rid of germs - lol.

After she was scrubbed and washed and in fresh clothes we cuddled. Even though she had taken a nap an hour earlier, she was tired again and slept for over an hour. I think she was just very exhausted with the whole experience.

We spent the rest of the evening cuddling and reading books. My Dad came over around 6pm and played with her since he was missing her all day too.

So all in all it was a good day.

I am however happy that I have her at home the next four days!




5 comments:

  1. Another milestone for you and Beanie! I'm happy to hear that her first day at daycare went well. Enjoy the next few days with her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I balled my eyes out the first time I was home alone without Elena...even though I'd been apart from her before. It's that quiet, like you said.

    Glad it went well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a successful first day. I'm glad it wasn't too hard on you either.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad today went well. I hope you and Beanie continue to have a good experience.

    ReplyDelete