Sunday, December 14, 2025

Skipping Santa!

Every year since S was a baby, we have gone to the same spot in our city for Santa photos.

The very first time, S was just nine months old, and cried the entire time. Poor Santa did his best to comfort her. We had him hold her for a quick minute while I snapped a photo. I think we may have skipped the following year, but from age two onward, we did Santa pictures every year, except for 2020, when COVID shut everything down.

Along with the photos, we would go on the sleigh ride, have hot chocolate, check out the shops, and finish the evening with dinner. It became one of our favorite traditions.

This year, I was expecting to do one last Santa photo before calling it quits, since S is now 12.8 years old and knows there’s no real Santa.

But she surprised me by saying she doesn’t want to go this year.

And just like that… another childhood tradition comes to an end.

She’s growing up.


1 comment:

  1. I remember when that happened in our house a few years ago. My girl is our holiday person and loved visiting Santa. That year she simply said she didn’t want to go and I was so surprised, but understood. The magic had changed for her too. I have to say I wasn’t a fan of wrangling the kids and paying the crazy amount for the pictures while doing it….but I really enjoy and am thankful we took them now when we put them up every year. Happy Holidays from RealD

    ReplyDelete