Thursday, November 27, 2025

Happy Thanksgiving and other updates

 Happy Thanksgiving! Its crazy how quickly the year has passed. I was hoping to post more this year but as always one gets busy. 

We celebrated TG yesterday since my niece and her husband were going to her in-laws today. It was a nice evening.  My nephew was not in attendance and pretty much avoids all family gatherings, with the excuse of being across the country. He is very introverted so probably prefers it this way. Last we met him was at my niece's wedding last year. 

S has been busy with orchestra concerts and a play she did with drama club - The Wizard of Oz. She tried out for several parts but was selected to be the Yellow Brick Road - a made up role where she and three other girls in yellow dresses appear on stage when there is reference to "follow the yellow brick road" and do a little dance. I though it was very ingenious of the teacher to come up with the idea since it allows everyone to participate. Other kids were munchkins and some were the "tornado".  I was proud of her for trying out as well as participating in the play. She used to be very shy as a child and disliked being on stage, so for her to even try for a talking role was incredible. Of course, she is now older and we often go and see plays/live performances which is why she opted for drama this year.

My work is going okay. Better than my last post although I am still dealing with the co-worker who keeps trying to meddle in my job. We had a huge round of layoffs about two weeks ago. They laid off 10% of the workforce, some who had been with the company for years. Luckily, I was not part of the layoff, but this is corporate America. The economy is shaken and nobody knows what is going to happen with the tariffs - the whiplash (on/off again) is not allowing companies to make any reasonable financial forecasts.

Its ironic that the reason I left my old company was due to the constant layoffs or fear of layoffs, but its the same here as well. Anyway, hopefully they wont have any more for at least 6 months.

As a result of the layoffs, the co-worker I mentioned got some direct reports and fingers in more pies within the company. I have realized she is an extremely ambitious woman, and will forever be a meddler. I think she realizes it, since she told my direct report that with her new role she will have less time to meddle in my work - ha. She is a basically a nice person but wants to be involved in every single initiative in the company. So now I just humor her, and lean into her meddling which she loves, but then do my own thing/my own way. My boss is very close with her but I know he appreciates my more pragmatic way rather rather that her "hair on fire" approach. 

I am also doing some professional learning, especially in the area of AI since that is the now and the future. I have taken a couple of online courses and planning to take some paid ones. Best to use my time to upskill myself. 

I took this week off from work so its been nice, relaxing a bit.  S has been busy having her friends over to hang out at our house. Its a win-win, since she is busy and I can quietly watch Netflix or nap.

We spent the day putting up our Christmas decorations today. It was nice since she can now help with the tree, and it halves the work. Tonight we will do a small TG meal, just the two of us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment