First of all, it seems I am way off my goal of writing more posts than I did last year. I really hoped I would match or increase my posts - sigh!
Its been a busy 2 months.
My mammogram was fine - huge sigh of relief there. I was pretty calm up to a point and then got really nervous a few days before. Glad its over.
Beanie follow up blood report was better, but still has low Vit D and her TSH is still slightly elevated. I am giving her Vit D supplements but it has not moved the needle so doubling the dose. Dr is okay with that. We will redraw her TSH in 4 months, her other thyroid markers are fine.
We are in middle school now. So, lots more homework, and assignments and now have 4 teachers to deal with. Its been a learning curve for both of us.
For me the challenge is where to draw the line between allowing her to learn to be be independent and on the other side micro-managing her. We started out with allowing her to manage her stuff until she FAILED a science test. This is the kid who never got a grade below A in every term and class in Elementary school. Turns out the exam was hard - most kids did poorly - but by the 9 weeks S's grade was 96%, so she made it up which was commendable.
Since then, I am on top of all her tests and homework. She is good about turning in work on time and often completes homework in school but I am trying to encourage her to take 20-30 min each day to "review" what she did in class, so when tests come up there is not much preparation to do. But try conveying that logic to an 11 year old...sigh.
So, we have some drama, like today, which leaves me annoyed and her frustrated. But we will figure it out.
All this is side drama, to the REAL drama.
Four (4!!) school threats within the first 6 weeks of school. The first one was a scribble on the boys bathroom in the first WEEK!!
Then after Winder there were 2 boys in the bus overheard talking and dealt with, the next few days later a scribble on the 8th grade girl's bathroom with a date given which was the following week. And 2 days later an online threat where they did catch the kid!
The school has been horrible about updating us. They tell us what has occurred but then radio silence on what is being done. I even spoke with the principal about it and he was not very forthcoming.
Finally after 4 threats they decided to hold a parent meeting. They had the police, the county school board members and principals of the elementary and high school present which was good. They went over all the safety measures, but basically said that there is limited things they can do especially in bathrooms where scores of kids have been in and out. They may never find the culprit.
It was nerve wracking for us first time middle schoolers. S was fearful and I had her talk with the counselor which made her feel better. While they had drills in elementary schools, I have never shared details of what goes on in the world. Now most kids have phones, and when Winder happened they were all looking at stuff online. So, even though she does not have a phone, she is hearing all the tragic details.
Needless to say, not the way we hoped school would start. The principal had a tough talk with all the classes kids about making such threats and the consequences, so hopefully that is the end of it
On a happier note, we travelled out of town for my niece's wedding in early Oct. It was a small family affair but very nice and enjoyable.
Next is Halloween .....
No comments:
Post a Comment