Saturday, November 5, 2022

Close call

I hit a deer whilst dropping Beanie to school last Friday morning. 

It was dark, and we were driving along the highway. Its is only one block from our intersection to the traffic lights/intersection to her school. There are 2 lanes on eash side with a large grassy meridian in between. On the other sides of the road are woods and homes.

We have a  lot of deer in our area and I have on occassion seen deer around that highway.  I am very careful driving back home from school, since I am on the lane closest to the woods. But while dropping her, I am on the lane close to the grassy meridian so I dont think about deer hanging out there.

The road is very busy in the mornings with commuters and people dropping their kids.

So we are driving along and chatting. It was very dark

Next thing, I notice in the headlghts, a deer on my left (driver's side) right on the grassy area. It was maybe 3 feet from my window. Really close. 

I told Beaine "oh look a deer" and slowed down. The deer got spooked with the car so close and ran ahead and crossed right in front of me. I slowed the car down, but could not fully stop in time. I ended up hitting the poor creature on his flank with the front/right side of the car. Beanie was yelling from the back "oh no poor deer"...the deer ran off to the right.  Thankfully there was no car on the right lane.

Beanie wanted me to stop, but there were cars behind us and there was nothing I could do. The deer was no where in sight. We continued the short distance and made the left turn to the school. 

When we parked and got out I saw the dent, :-(  There was some fur stuck in there, and later when it was daylight I saw the grill was broken too.  

I called the insurance company and made the claim, There goes hundreds of dollars in damages for my deductible...so annoying, but then again we were not hurt thankfully, and hopefully the deer was okay.  





No comments:

Post a Comment