Sunday, January 2, 2022

Scary start to year!

We had a scary afternoon today. 

As I mentioned in my post yesterday, Beanie was invited to a birthday for the boy who sits next to her in class. It was a bowling party and she had a great time, even beating all the kids with a score of 106!  

When we got the invite I had texted the boy's Mom about Beanie's allergy to tree nuts. She said she would inform the baker of it.

Around 2:35pm the cake was cut. Beanie was very responsible and asked the hostess if there were nuts in the cake since she is very allergic. The lady confirmed there were none.

Beanie ate the cake. As is my habit, I looked at my watch when she was done eating at 2:49pm, since reactions usually happen within 30 minutes. 

We left the party and drove home. We walk in and Beanie goes into the bathroom to wash her hands and before I know turns to the toilet and has a massive vomit emptying out her entire stomach contents. 

I knew it was a allergic reaction, it was within the 30 min window. I got Beanie a bit cleaned up and calm, She said her throat was scratchy, which scared me a bit. She was breathing okay, and I was uncertain if I should jab her with an Epipen or not.

So,I called 911 to get some advise and have the paramedics come check her out Her neck was getting a red rash, but she was lucid and alert and breathing okay.

The EMT came over and checked her O2 and BP and heard her chest. They agreed that she did not need Epipen. She still had a red rash on her neck so I asked if I could give her Benadryl.

After they left I gave her some Benadryl and she rested. She was fine in bit and has been the rest of the evening.

It was scary. 

The last time Beanie had a reaction was when she was 3 years old and ate some walnuts. That is what alerted me to a potential treenut allergy. Since then I assumed she had tree nut allergy and never gave her anything that may contain nuts. I got her formally tested at 5 1/2 which confirmed the diagnoses. 

Coincidentally, last week, on Dec 28 I had her re-tested at the request of her allergist since it has been some years since her initial test. Sadly, she is still extremely allergic to Cashews and Pistachios, mildly allergic to walnuts. However, she shows no allergy to any other nut. Her allergist told me I could introduce her to Nutella and maybe almond milk. I left feeling pretty optimistic about her allergies.

The birthday's boy's Mom was so worried. I called her as soon as Beanie threw up to confirm if there was any but product in the cake.  She said there was not, and later texted that the baker's home was not nut-free and I suspect that some contamination occurred.

I will message her allergist tomorrow. I am unsure what cold have been in the cake that caused the reaction.


No comments:

Post a Comment