This will sound pretty daft, but I am actually reading again!
Its been 8 years since I have read a book.
I know crazy!!
Especially when I think how much I enjoy reading. I was an avid reader in my childhood all the way to my early twenties. Then I slowed down a bit, then got back into it in my late twenties and thirties. After Beanie was born I have not been reading. Any downtime I get I tend to watch streaming shows.
But I have always loved the library. Ever since Beanie was <2 years old we would go to the library on the weekends and while she was too little to read, she would wander the aisles and play with the train set they had set up and puzzles. Later, she would pick books that I would read to her and as she got older, bookse she wanted to read herself.
Last year due to COVID, we stopped going to the library. I felt a bit queasy getting books even though the library was quarantining them for 2 weeks before giving them out again. I have been buying books for Beanie on Ama.zon. She is reading chapter books and read the Unicorn Academy series, and has recently started reading Enid Blyton's The Famous Five books. I got her a box set as an end of year gift. I read those as a kid and and am enjoying having her reading aloud to me.
My sis bought my Mom a Kindle in 2019 . As a result, my Mom has gotten back to reading after many decades. She too used to be an avid reader when my sister and I were kids but gave it up over the years. Now since she is by herself it gives her something to do, especially the last year.
Which brings me back to the subject of my post. I recently realized that I could get free books with Prime membership. I am too cheap to pay for books via Kindle..lol.
So I got myself set up with my dad's old Fire tablet and started a book.
Wow it was so fun! I had forgotten how much I enjoyed it. I literally devoured the book in a day and a half.
I must admit though I miss the feel of the paper book. I think I will be back to borrowing books as soon as I feel comfortable.
But I am so glad I started reading again....I really missed it!
Yay, that’s great! I related to your post a lot. I’ve loved reading through much of my life, too. I hope to get back to it someday, and you are inspiring me. 😊 what was the book your read in a day and a half
ReplyDeleteWall of Silence - Tracey Buchanan.
DeleteThen on Friday, I read this other one in one evening -- The Strange Journey of Alice Pendelbury by Mark Levy (Beanie was at my Mom's)