Tuesday, March 30, 2021

Vaccinated!

 I got my first shot of the Moderna vaccine yesterday morning at 11:45am at my local pharmacy! 

Needless to say, I am elated and relieved.

Appointments ae very difficult to get because our state opened up vaccinations to anyone over 16 years old since last week.

I had a hard time getting an appt for my Mom but finally was able to get her one a few weeks ago. She got Pfizer and her second shot is on Saturday.

I could have gotten an appointment along with my Mom as an Adult Caregiver since I do look after my Mom, but I don't really see myself as her "caregiver". I also wanted to allow older people to get shots, rather than take a spot. 

Then two weeks ago they opened up eligibility a bit more.

 I qualified as Caregiver of an Child with a health condition. Asthma is listed as one of the conditions which Beanie has. 

I started looking for appts with no luck. I was releved that at least my Mom had hers,

Then one day at around lunchtime I decided to look at the website and there were openings at our local pharmacy - 2 min away.  I grabbed a spot. They are really good about booking both doses, so I have the second one 4 weeks later.

After my initial jubilation, when i looked at the vaccine dates, I was a bit disappointed to learn that it was for Modera (btw Pfizer is 3 weeks apart, Moderna is 4 weeks apart.)

 I really would have preferred Pfizer simply because it seems people have milder side effects with it. But I don't think I had the luxury to pick/choose. And with the eligibility now open to anyone over 16 years old there are literally NO slots available. 

To complicate matters the pollen count has been insanely high since Saturday. I am taking Zyrtec daily for itchy eyes and runny nose. I was worried if I could get the shot while suffering from seasonal allergies, but after a few calls to the pharmacies and a chat with my cousin -in-law who is a physician I was told it was okay.

The shot itself was not at all painful. I sat for about 20 minutes, then went about my day. 

My arm started to ache mildly last evening. I was a bit tired. I could have avoided taking anything last night but took one Tylenol anyway. I did have a tummy upset yesterday afternoon. Unsure if that is related to the vaccine, or just stress build up over the last few days and eating hurried meals.

This morning my arm was sore/stiff when I woke, but got better as I moved around. Around 10am, I took 2 Tylenol pills  and now its almost 11pm,so will take another 2 pills just to take the edge off.

Overall, on a level of pain its like a tetanus shot. It hurts, if I rub against it or ty to lift it, but its is not too much of a bother,  My tummy was still a bit unhappy today, but seems to have quieted down now.

What has been your experience with the vaccine?


1 comment:

  1. That's exciting!! We are in Canada, so can't get a vaccine just yet. Our grandparents got a Moderna vaccine and also had a sore arm. No other side effects.
    --Maya

    ReplyDelete