Wednesday, May 29, 2019

Mission Organization

We were unable to use the long weekend to hone Beanie's cycling without training-wheels since it was incredibly hot. Instead, we used it to do some organization around the house.

Every Spring I get spring fever" where I want to tidy up. This year it was all consuming because I have been watching "Tidying Up with Marie Ko.ndo: on Net.flix. Its a fun show and I love some of her ideas around folding items. So, about a month ago I began to follow her steps. 

She recommends piling similar items in a heap and going though them at one time. I modified, so I was tackling one section of the house at a time, e.g. my closet, laundry closet, etc. 

Its been fun and I have to admit that folding and organizing clothes in particular has been very helpful. Beanie even has her undie drawer organized the Kon Marie way!  Its funny because one of the main principles of Kon Marie is to only surround yourself with things that bring you joy. So, on occasion I have had Beanie tell me -- "Mama, don't give that away, it brings me joy!"

Between the yard sale we had a few weeks ago and my mega purging, I have donated a lot of stuff and now have empty shelves in some cupboards.

This past weekend I competed both the cupboards and drawers in mine and Beanie's bathroom. 

I have also have been purging a lot of papers. I had a huge pile of papers that needed to be shredded sitting in a heap for months  - bank statements, old receipts from when Beanie was a baby, and old utility statements going back years!  I finally got all the shredding done. I have two big black bags full of shredded paper to recycle tomorrow. I feel so light and my filing cabinet now has space!

I have gone through my closet and donated a lot of clothes, shoes, handbags etc. I still have some old business suits and jackets that I need to make a decision on. With clothes its hard because they still fit me so I feel I should keep them :-(  But my closet has bee reduced by about 1/3 so that is a start.

Next to tackle is the cupboard in my butler's pantry which is a mix of medicines, light bulbs, candles, check books (!) and a mish-mash in general. Also, my guest room closet is a mess with Beanie's unopened gifts, some of my files, etc.

Slowly but surely we will get there!

4 comments:

  1. Wow, good for you on the decluttering! This is something I desperately need to do, but I just never seem to have the time. Maybe when the boys are in their teens I'll have some free time! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I echo Jenny - good for you! I know it feels great when you’re done but I really don’t enjoy the process. You almost make it sound fun. 😊 How are you feeling in general? Any fun summer plans? I’m imagining you are also still missing your Dad. 💕

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its been tough, I have to admit. I miss my dad terribly:-( But Beanie keeps me busy. Hope to go to the beach with my Mom and Beanie in a couple of weeks.

      Delete
    2. I can imagine you really miss him. He was such a big part of your lives. You’ll always carry him with you. Sending hugs. The beach sounds like a fun getaway.

      Delete