Thursday, January 26, 2017

Writing a Name


Beanie is starting to write...I am SO excited!!!

She has always been very keen on seeing how her name is written and could recognize her first name initial pretty early on. She used to make pretend lists - scribbling on paper - as far back as a year ago and even my Mom (a teacher) was impressed at how well she held a pencil...all self taught, btw.

But today, without assistance, she wrote her name multiple times!

Its a long name - 7 letters - so its all the more amazing.

Yesterday she wrote MOM....I am so proud of her.

As I was writing this blog earlier, she was reading a book. Our new night time routine is that I read her a few stories, and then she "reads" a few books on her own. She knows the stories, of course, and talks about what she sees on the page. I want her to get the general idea of words and reading.  We have some of the early reading - Stage 1 - books and she enjoys those.

She can count to 20 and can write 1-10. She is also doing some math/ addition in her school. Her teacher says Beanie shows interest in "big children's work".

I don't push Beanie on learning her letters or numbers. One of my neighbors used to tell me she did flash cards with her toddler!  I don't want to do that.  I firmly believe this is the age for her to play and have fun and that learning will happen on its own.

And I am seeing it happen  ....

Of course, I do try be be creative in play to keep things interesting. For example, on NYE I played Scabble with my niece. Beanie was entranced. Now, some evenings we take out Scrabble and find alphabets and build words. Or sort the alphabets...and count how many we have of each. Its fun, she enjoys it - and so do I!!






No comments:

Post a Comment