Thursday, April 17, 2014

Moving on Up

Thank you so much for your supportive words on my last post. It seems like a lot of us are in dead-end jobs  :-(

And, Evelyn, yes there is some trepidation from my side in moving out of my comfort zone which is why I am not actively looking for a new job.

Now to the title of my post. Yesterday I happened to call Beanie's school to check in on her since she had a bad cough. The Director picked up the phone and casually mentioned that they were planning to move Beanie out of the infant room to the toddler room starting today!!!

What??

When were you planning to tell me??

I need more than 12 hour notice to wrap my mind around my baby moving on up. Plus I have not met the new teacher, discussed curriculum, etc.

Needless to say I was pissed.

So when i went to pick up Beanie I met the Director and said as much that she cannot give me one day notice for such a  big change. Beanie can move up and can transition slowly there but not full time starting Monday as she had hoped. seems like another baby is joining the infant room on Monday, so its getting too large.

The Director introduced me to the new teacher, whom I had seen before during an open house. She is nice and I briefly expressed my concerns about the fact that Beanie is still eating baby food and she has her own eating/sleeping schedule. She is willing to work with me to transition Beanie to the more fixed schedule of the class and put my worries to rest about table foods. Apparently another kid from the baby room had the same issues and is now drinking from a sippy cup and eating table foods. I do think that seeing other toddlers doing stuff will make Beanie more likely to try it.

Last night I was watching the video my Dad took on her first day at the school. She was 23 weeks old....gosh, my baby is growing so fast!!!!!

On the food front, we are almost fully transitioned to whole milk. She is tolerating it well. Of course, I badly miscalculated and bough so much formula so I have a ton at home -sigh!    I will still use formula at night since its a lot easier (for me).

The sippy cup is a hit or miss. She will not drink milk from it most times and the moment its in a bottle she will suck it down. My pediatrician recommend some tough love and only offer her the cup. Frankly I am a lot more laid back about all these "transitions" than I sound. I am sure she will drink from a cup eventually. 

She is going through so much developmentally, with the walking etc, that I don't want to introduce too many new things. Right now I would rather focus on the milk transition and wearing shoes!

Next we will tackle solids again. I have a huge stash of baby food and will stop buying anymore so I can use up what I have in stock.

Here is a cute picture!



UPDATE: When I went to pick up Beanie today I was told that she will not be moving to the toddler room yet -arrgghhhh.  Apparently someone else wants the spot and since I did not jump with alacrity when offered it they figured I would be okay with her staying in the infant room. I am okay with it for a while but in a month or so Beanie does need to move up so she can be with kids her age and have a  more challenging curriculum. They focus more on words and learning in the toddler room.  On Monday, I will chat with the Director and ensure Beanie is next in line to move up. I am planning to move Beanie to another school in August anyways so all this is not too big a deal.






7 comments:

  1. Wow a lot is happening in your life right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It has to be so nerve-wracking to have the going back and forth with the daycare. Hopefully the transition will be good though when it comes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the shoe pic. I have to smile though because I think your shoes look pretty small too, but then mine are a ladies 10 so quite big.

    That is a little presumptuous telling you the day before. It sounds a little disorganized to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are you changing daycares because this sort of craziness is common place?

    Love the picture, and hooray for Beanie walking. In a few weeks you won't be able to remember what it was like when she wasn't a walker.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not because of the craziness. My mom taught in a Montessori school so I would like to send Beanie there. I know the teachers well. They have a toddler program so will start B there around end July.

      Delete
  5. I love the picture. So cute.

    I would be annoyed at the daycare too for not giving notice. I hope the new school works out better.

    ReplyDelete