Monday, March 9, 2026

Track & Field

 S tried out for Track and Field in school a few weeks ago and was selected for hurdles and shotput/discus. 

I am so proud of her! She already had her first meet last Wednesday and it was really fun to watch. 

She is loving being part if the team and was so excited to get the uniform. I was too!  I was never athletic, so having a child who rides horses, loves swimming, and enjoys anything physical is pretty awesome.

S loves jumping. 

I think its from being a Hunter/Jumper and doing it with the horses, but one of her favorite pastimes the past couple of years has been creating jumps with odds and ends (pots with sticks, Amazon boxes etc) and jumping over them like a horse. She does it practically daily. Therefore, I was interested in seeing if she would want to do hurdles. I spoke with the coach last Fall and she told me tryouts were in Feb.

S especially loves jumping. I think it comes from being a Hunter/Jumper with horses, but for the past couple of years one of her favorite pastimes has been building little jumps out of whatever she can find (e.g balancing sticks across empty flowerpots, large Amazon boxes, and other odds and ends) and then jumping over them like a horse. She does it almost every day! And she can jump really high! Because of that, I was curious to see if she might enjoy hurdles. I spoke with the coach last fall, and she told me tryouts would be in February. 

S is the only girl in hurdles from her school (7th and 8th grade). One of her good friend is in shotput/discus with her.

The season is very short, which I like. It runs from the beginning of March through the first week of April. Best of all, the schedule works well for me since pickup is at 5:30 pm, which fits since I’m back in the office now and usually finish work at 5. I definitely miss the work-from-home days.

On Fridays she still  has riding. I am happy that she is getting exercise and fresh air. She loves being outdoors so its a plus.

The next meet is Mar 18, 23rd and then County Finals are April 2 and 3.


No comments:

Post a Comment