Sunday, June 15, 2025

New Job

 I started a new job in mid-April. 

If you recall from my post in Dec, I was beginning to get the senses that my company was not doing well and then we had a big round of layoffs in January.  My boss had told me he was leaving after only one year in the company which prompted me to begin my job search.

It was very stressful since I wanted to leave around the same time as my boss which gave me 3 months to look for a job. The job market is really very bad despite what the numbers seem to tell. Its industry related, I am sure, but reading about how long people were looking for jobs with no success, was really scary.

I got lucky and started a hybrid role. Its been quite interesting going into an office after being "remote" for over a decade!  Its an adjustment for me, S and even our cat who was used to coming in/out of the house all day and is now stuck indoors for 9 hours while I am at work.

But we are managing okay. I don't have a long commute, plus the job does not involve travel which was my other concern. I had one other opportunity I was interviewing for but that turned out to require 40% travel which I really cannot do being an single parent.

I have completed 2 months at the new job. Its a disorganized company, and the role is not exactly what I had hoped but my new manager has some plans so let's see how it goes.  The culture is very different too - chauvinistic - which I don't like, but for now it will do. I am out if the other dumpster fire company, and have job security. 

I will give this maybe 6 months and if it is still not what I want, then I will begin looking again.

No comments:

Post a Comment