Sunday, December 29, 2024

Job Troubles

 Just a post to vent and maybe think through my feelings.

I have been at my job for 10+ years. Initially it was new and exciting, but the past several years has become monotonous and tedious and I disliked it. And given our business group structure there was no room for growth. But it paid well and it WFH which leant itself to a good work-life balance which is why I stuck it out.

In April, I had a new manager join the company. The introductory call went well. Being new he had lots of questions and would call me several times for clarifications or if he was seeking some information. Anyway, our interactions were good and he asked me if I was interested in furthering my career and branching out of my current job, to which I said "Yes".  I helped him with some strategic initiatives and he assigned me several high profile projects that I really enjoyed. It was great to feel excited about work again. He also brough me into a new business unit which was struggling and asked me to assist them which I have been doing with success since August. The team is happy to have me on board and things are going great. It like being in a new company, but still not new. I am working with folks I never worked with, so it really fun.

In the meantime, the group I was with the past 10 years was sold by our company. I stayed back with my current company and did not move with my group since it would have been doing the same monotonous job at the new place. My colleagues really wanted me to come over to the new employer, but I told them that I was enjoying doing something different. I spent the last 2 months transitioning all my tasks to the new team at the new company.

One of the things that bothered me was that while I was busy/happy with special project, I did not have a portfolio of my own. That changed a month ago, when they decided to give me business line to manage, so again everything was looking positive. Until this week when a few things happened. The company overall did poorly the last quarter, so execs are looking to see how they can consolidate.  I am also sensing that the business line I an now involved in which is fairly new, vey small and has not been profitable for over a year, may be abandoned. In fact the Sales guy, as much as told me two days ago and he and the VP were discussing it.  

In addition, I sense another round of layoffs are coming soon. This will be the 4th in the past 12 months!  Given the chance the business line may be abandoned and the layoffs looming, I find myself in a very precarious place.  I am also tired of the constant "reorganization" they keep doing. Basically cut jobs to save salaries and make the books look better. It is a short term fix and it causing more problems since everyone is overworked and burnt out, not to mention morale is so low.  I am tired of worrying about my job every 3-4 months. I have just had it!

I spoke with my boss yesterday. He too is getting very frustrated with how things are being run and I sense he will not be sticking around much longer. 

So, I reached out to one of my old colleagues this morning and asked if they were still interested in my joining the new company. He immediately got me in touch with the COO (whom I met on a couple of conference calls during the transition), who then reached out to me asking for my resume and wanting to talk.

I have so many mixed feelings right now.

On one hand, I feel lucky that I *may* have an opportunity to get a job quickly and get back with the old gang in the new company. The new company is financially stable, so that is a comfort as well. 

On the other hand I am SO disappointed that given my current company's financial circumstances, I cannot realistically continue in my current job long term without fear of layoffs. The past few months, I have been motivated, excited to start the work day, appreciated the great feedback I was getting on my performance, and enjoying working with new people and enjoying the work itself. 

Its like I saw the possibility of a new future and I loved it, only for it to be fleeting.  Of course, I could always look for a totally new job but the market is really bad, and if I was to get laid off in the meantime, it would only add to the stress.

My only hope is that by having transferred most of my mundane jobs to new teams at the new company, I may have the opportunity to get something related but different and there may be some potential for growth. 

Let's see what happens.  In the meantime, i am polishing my resume and beginning to send it out.

12/29 Update:

- After the initial enthusiasm, the COO never reached out. He was sick and it has been the holidays, but I am not very hopeful. Its likely they don't have a place for me given my original job was distributed over 5 teams. Need to begin sending out resumes and next reaching out to contacts.

No comments:

Post a Comment