...and so little time to blog about them.
To be honest by the time Beanie is asleep, usually 9pm (ugh!) I just want to curl up and watch Netflix or surf and don't feel like blogging. All the while I have posts running through my head!
The main thing on my plate is dealing with a picky eater!
Yup, my kids who ate everything is sight up until about a year ago is progressively gotten pickier and picker. If she had her way she would subsist entirely on yogurt, milk and fruit with some pizza thrown in!
She is off meat almost entirely. She used to love meatballs, fish etc but now will not eat it, She will eat ham sometimes. But given I don't eat deli meats myself for health reasons, I feel bad buying it for her, even the nitrate free stuff. She used to enjoy eggs a lot, but now not so much. She loved wheat bread, and wheat pasta, now seems off that too. So as you can imagine its really hard finding anything she likes to eat, other than mac n cheese and pizza which I cannot give he everyday.
Luckily she LOVES fruit. She will eat all sorts, particularly berries which are her favorite. So at least she is getting some nutrition and fiber. She does enjoy wheat crackers with peanut butter for snack. She likes pancakes, so we do that with blueberries on weekends.
Every day I try to come up with kid friendly snacks and meals. I have tried to involve her in the cooking, that sometimes helps. One day she ate a beef burrito by making it herself. She does like rice so we do that, and she will eat some veggies like broccoli and carrots with some cajoling. At times, she will eat zucchini. But its nothing like when she was younger when she would devour sweet potato, green beans, etc.
Yesterday on an off chance I offered her cucumber. She has not liked it in the past, but really took to it and has been eating it with gusto the past two days. I made organic kale and white bean soup last night. She ate a couple of spoonfuls declaring it was yummy (I could not believe my luck) and then was done :-(
I really should get "A" for effort since I try every single day to come up with something new and interesting. Today I tried whole wheat mini-bagel pizza. I even had her make it herself, but she hardly ate a bite. Earlie this week I made spinach and cheese rolls which she did eat for an after school snack.
I worry about her iron intake, so I keep trying to get her to eat whole wheat in some form. I do have organic wheat rolls that she loves and they have high iron so that is eaten often. I have put her on multi-vitamins too.
She has taken a shine to those baby squeeze foods, the type she ate long back. I have out of desperation, got a few of those and given her one of those as snack to make sure she is getting spinach, peas, etc.
The other challenge is that when she gets back from school - around 5pm now - she is very hungry and will eat a big snack. As a result by the time its dinner, around 6:45pm she is really not that hungry. I have tried to give her dinner-type meal at 5pm but she wants her "snack" which ends up being fruit, whole wheat crackers, cheese, and maybe yogurt. That fills her up.
I just wish she would eat better!!!
I love to cook and I cannot wait for her to be able to enjoy different foods.
This weekend I am going to IK.EA to get meatballs. She used to love those ...she may be willing to eat some again!
No real advice to offer since we are going through a difficult phase with food too. One thing I do is when I noticed that Layla hasn't been eating well, I will make her a smoothie with fruits, avocado, kale or spinach. She loves smoothies and will happily drink it. I hope things go back to the way they were soon. You're doing a great job!
ReplyDeleteWow...I could have written this post. I have no advice. Elsie and I are diverging even further as I am now eating mostly vegan and she will barely try what I make. The one thing that gives me hope... I found she is mush more apt to eat things at school then she is at home. So I pack much better lunches (chicken she refuses to eat at home etc) and then let her graze more at dinner. I offer her what I am eating and if she doesn't like it, then she can have cheese or yougurt. I am also lucky that when she sits down for dinner, the first thing she always eats is the vegetables. And she is always up for fruit.
ReplyDelete